How do forces change with speed?

In summary, according to relativity, forces between objects become weaker as the objects approach the speed of light. This is due to the fact that observers in different frames of reference see the objects moving at different rates, and the time it takes for the objects to travel a given distance becomes shorter for the observer travelling at the speed of light.
Hyperspaced
TL;DR Summary
What happens to magnetism and gravitation when materia hits near lightspeed?
Hey dear physics community :)

I ask myself what exactly happens to forces between materia when the materia hits near lightspeed.

I know, that for an objective bystander watching let's say elon in his rocket with 99,99999% the speed of light, that the time goes slower, the mass of the rocket goes up and the length of the rocket decreases.

What i ask myself now is what happens to all the forces like gravitation and magnetism. Gravitation and magnetism don't change for elon on the spaceship, so the other way around it means they have to decrease for the objective bystander aren't they?

Thanks a lot for your time and knowledge :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Answer it yourself. Right now, you are going 99,99999% the speed of light relative to something else. In the reference frame of the other something, you are the one traveling fast.

How does it feel?

p.s. All linear speeds are relative. No speed is absolute.

Likes russ_watters
Hyperspaced said:
objective bystander
No such thing. But for any observer who sees the rocket move, some of the things you wrote are true.
Hyperspaced said:
the time goes slower
The rockets tick slower as measured by clocks that see it as moving, yes.
Hyperspaced said:
the mass of the rocket goes up
No - "mass" means the invariant mass which does not change. Relativistic mass does increase with speed, but is a long deprecated concept that causes more confusion than it's worth.
Hyperspaced said:
the length of the rocket decreases.
Again, as measured by anyone who sees the rocket moving, yes.
Hyperspaced said:
What i ask myself now is what happens to all the forces like gravitation and magnetism.
What do you mean? A key point of relativity is that all laws of physics are the same in all frames of reference, so all forces work the same way at all speeds. Electric and magnetic fields do transform - a field that is a pure electric or pure magnetic field will be seen by observers in other frames as electromagnetic fields.

Gravitational fields are more complicated. They are not forces, but are rather spacetime curvature. Again, the laws are the same at all speeds, but the fields transform. There are loose analogies with electromagnetic fields in the way the transformed fields behave, but really you need to do the maths for that - I'm not sure there's a non-technical description of it.

Likes vanhees71

1. How does the force of friction change with speed?

The force of friction typically increases with speed. This is because as an object moves faster, it creates more friction with the surface it is moving on. This increase in friction can cause a decrease in speed or even result in the object coming to a stop.

2. Does the force of gravity change with speed?

No, the force of gravity remains constant regardless of an object's speed. This is because the force of gravity is determined by the mass and distance between two objects, and is not affected by the speed at which they are moving.

3. How does air resistance affect the force of an object in motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, increases as an object's speed increases. This means that the force of air resistance will act in the opposite direction of the object's motion, slowing it down. However, at very high speeds, air resistance can also cause objects to become unstable and lose control.

4. What is the relationship between force and speed?

Force and speed have a direct relationship. This means that as the speed of an object increases, the force acting on it also increases. This is because the object is covering more distance in a shorter amount of time, resulting in a greater force being exerted.

5. How does the mass of an object affect the force required to change its speed?

The mass of an object is directly proportional to the force required to change its speed. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the more force is needed to accelerate or decelerate it. This is why it takes more force to push or stop a heavy object compared to a lighter one.