How Do Forces Determine the Balance of a Supported Ruler?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Miri
Messages
36
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A ruler of 0.75N and 52.0cm is supported 1.0cm from each of its two ends. A weight of 1.00N is placed 16.0cm from the left end of the ruler. Determine the forces acting upon the ruler at the two supports.


Homework Equations


I know that the two forces of the supports are pointing upward and 1.00N is pointing downward as well as 0.75N. So I know that the two forces of the supports together are 1.75N. But I don't know what to do now.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Miri said:

Homework Statement


A ruler of 0.75N and 52.0cm is supported 1.0cm from each of its two ends. A weight of 1.00N is placed 16.0cm from the left end of the ruler. Determine the forces acting upon the ruler at the two supports.

Homework Equations


I know that the two forces of the supports are pointing upward and 1.00N is pointing downward as well as 0.75N. So I know that the two forces of the supports together are 1.75N. But I don't know what to do now.
HINT: Consider the moments (or torques) about one of the pivots.