Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I become God? I want a promotion in the universe!

1. Dec 30, 2011 #1
    I'm not sure which forum section this would go in. This is a pretty unscientific question.

But, do you guys think that omniscience or omnipotence are possible in our universe? If so, how would one go about getting them? If not, what do you think is the closest that one could get to these features? Do you think that science is ultimately limited in how much power and control it can grant it's users? This is (obviously) all very hypothetical.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2011 #2
    Omnipotence seems a little contradictory to science since we have a collection of "rules" which allow us to figure out how things are going to transpire. The ability to be omnipotent would imply that these rules really aren't absolute.

4. Dec 30, 2011 #3

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Omnipotence is paradoxical as is omniscience. For example: can an omniscient and omnipotent entity predict what they will do in the future and then not do it? If they do not do it then they are not omniscient, if they must do it then they are not omnipotent.

As for the rest of your question there are definitely limits to what we can know (If I was to think of an object on my deathbed there is no way to get that information afterwards) and there are most likely limits to what we can do (without breaking fundamental laws of physics); the question becomes "what are these limits" which is potentially an unanswerable question because you never know how things might change. The best you can do is say "right now under our present understanding the following things are impossible...the following things are theoretically possible...and the following things are practically possible."

5. Dec 30, 2011 #4

chiro

Science Advisor

In terms of getting that kind of knowledge or experience in terms of science and technology, then you may have to be patient.

But before all of that you would need to have a lot of patience, curiosity and acceptance for the universe around you and quite frankly humans are terrible at this.

Also you mention the idea of control. Interestingly enough, there are patterns in nature that exist that can be quantified and described mathematically, yet in spite of these laws, we, at least seemingly, have the ability to make choices of our own free will.

These means that we either a) really have some kind of natural free-will or b) we have a process which we think is free-will which really is not. If free will really exists, then the idea of control becomes an interesting issue since this omnipotent being at least is not interested in complete control, unlike some of our human brethren.

In terms of the kind of understanding that would be required to be this kind of being (IMO), you would have to have a kind of understanding that is beyond what we have. The kind of insight would be phenomenal: when we see someone that is a somewhat good person yet always gets sick and always runs into problems, a being would see it in a way that we can not. You would apply this thinking to every kind of situation you could imagine.

It would be like you, being a parent, grabbing your childs hand and telling them to stay on the footpath waiting for the cars before crossing the road, or making sure your kids don't spend all their time watching TV, or something else where they do not completely understand why, but later when they are older, look back and may end up thanking their parents for putting them on the right path. This is the kind of insight you would need to have: to have the insight to what will happen when you have a set of complex interactions numbering in the millions and doing something that, at least to the normal being, be considered stupid, harmful, or something else.

The insight to me is the big thing. Insight for a specific area or application is rare. Insight for everything is one definitive way that I would characterize an omnipotent being, or at least the type of being you are describing in the OP.

6. Dec 30, 2011 #5
    I don't believe its possible, or desirable. Your query talks of power and control, but not of beneficent actions. So, the power to control everything and everyone in the universe is different from a complete amount of knowledge, as is the ability to predict the future.

If the reason for your power was the knowledge and prescience, you would not be a god, merely a mortal that people wanted to use as a resource. You could leverage that supply demand equation to your advantage of course, albeit simply be a wealthy and/or popular mortal.

To me, God would need to be immortal, and have rules for everyone and everything to follow, and be unbiased. Otherwise, how could "both sides pray for victory", etc.

So far, it looks to me that the closest thing we have to a god would be math.

If you want to be "godly" as opposed to "god", you could study and apply math.

:D

7. Dec 30, 2011 #6
    Inaction
    The follower of knowledge learns as much as he can every day;
    The follower of the Way forgets as much as he can every day.
    By attrition he reaches a state of inaction
    Wherein he does nothing, but nothing remains undone.
    To conquer the world, accomplish nothing;
    If you must accomplish something,
    The world remains beyond conquest.
    Lao Tzu

8. Dec 31, 2011 #7
    Thanks for the interesting and thought provoking answers so far.

9. Dec 31, 2011 #8
    omnipotency is very easy in fantasies! :)

10. Dec 31, 2011 #9

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

I beg to differ. Imagine creating a perfectly sharp sword that can cut through anything with no resistance. Now imagine creating a perfectly impervious shield that nothing can break. Now bring the two together....

And that puts us nicely back in the ballpark of the paradoxical nature of omnipotency.

11. Dec 31, 2011 #10
    Isn't eternal life more desirable than omniscience or omnipotence?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  12. Dec 31, 2011 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think one would need to justify the assertion that omnipotence necessarily includes the ablity to defy logic.

13. Jan 1, 2012 #12

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Just get some people to declare you god, for instance...

Step 1: Write sci-fi, gather following
    Step 2: Convert cult-following into actual cult
    Step 3: Prophet / apotheosis!

Or if you're not as creative (and really, you don't have to be) you could follow in the footsteps of one or more of the gods who've come before you, and just take up their respective mantles:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_who_have_been_considered_deities

Once you've hit it big, I suggest getting yourself a worthy chariot, like a converted cruise ship, cargo carrier or giant blimp.

14. Jan 1, 2012 #13
    You could create a new world (novel, computer game etc...) Technically, you are a God of that world since you completely control it (you create it along with its rules) and you function under rules (physics) that are a superset of the rules of that world (computer operations)

Being god of this world... no. But why would you want that? I suppose because it makes you happy, or you like the feeling of control. But there is happiness enough in this world without being god. Control... not so much, you can't be anything you want in life. But you should struggle for control instead of being god! That's the closest you can get to it. That is, learning everything you can about the sciences and using them to control the world around you. There you go.

Also consider MATLABdude's advice. If a captcha did it, you can do it also

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/inglip

http://www.churchofinglip.com/

15. Jan 1, 2012 #14
    This is moot, really. Imagine being confronted with a being who has all possible powers and trying to mock him by arguing he can't make a stone so big he can't pick it up. In a second he could have you so confused you'd believe he was completely satisfying the paradox: doing both mutually exclusive things.

16. Jan 1, 2012 #15
    When you say omniscient, do you mean you know the position, or do you mean that you know the momentum?

17. Jan 1, 2012 #16
    :rofl:

18. Jan 1, 2012 #17

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, he can make you believe he satisfies the paradox. That's not hard to do. But he can't actually satisfy the paradox!!

19. Jan 1, 2012 #18
    Why is there a paradox? Maybe our brains can't just understand how it is possible. Our logic systems may correspond to our experience, but not necessarily to reality which might have aspects beyond our experience!

20. Jan 1, 2012 #19
    OP asked two very different questions:
    *How do I become God?
    *Do you guys think that omniscience or omnipotence are possible in our universe?

Is the thread title unrelated to the OP post content?

Last time I checked, gods weren't required to deal with logic/paradoxes.

Is that concerning? The purpose of god is less to work on logic problems more to help people deal with the reality etc. But see my response above. I am not sure what OP wanted to discuss.

See #3 post.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  21. Jan 1, 2012 #20
    I saw it, but again, this is a paradox for our logic system. It doesn't mean that it is so in reality. Imagine that some digital entity you created told the other digital entities that you can't have any value between 1 and 0. It's true in its world and it would find anyone claiming otherwise to be illogical. But is it reality?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook