How do I begin this linear algebra problem?

In summary: Similarly, T(0, 1, 0, ..., 0)= (0- 1, 0- 0, 0- 0, ..., 0- 0)= (-1, 0, 0, ..., 0) so the second column has -1 in the first row, 0 in the second row, 0 in all other rows.In summary, to find the matrix A for the given transformation Ax = [x1-x2; x2-x3;...;x(n-1) - x(n); x(n) - x1], you need to represent it as an n x n matrix using the standard basis of Rn, where the coefficients of each column
jp22200
http://i.imgur.com/MIazUji.png
"Describe the matrix A so that Ax = [x1-x2; x2-x3;...;x(n-1) - x(n); x(n) - x1]

Ax = b

I feel like after getting the ball rolling I'll actually be able to work on this problem, but for the time being I haven't the slightest idea how to begin it.

Recently, we've been working on inverses, so I assume that you need to take the inverse of x, and then multiply both sides by the inverse of x so that you're left with A = [x1-x2; x2-x3;...;x(n-1) - x(n); x(n) - x1](x^-1), but I don't know exactly how I'd even begin that since it's all variables. Hopefully this counts as "an attempt".

Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
jp22200 said:
http://i.imgur.com/MIazUji.png
"Describe the matrix A so that Ax = [x1-x2; x2-x3;...;x(n-1) - x(n); x(n) - x1]

Ax = b

I feel like after getting the ball rolling I'll actually be able to work on this problem, but for the time being I haven't the slightest idea how to begin it.

Recently, we've been working on inverses, so I assume that you need to take the inverse of x, and then multiply both sides by the inverse of x so that you're left with A = [x1-x2; x2-x3;...;x(n-1) - x(n); x(n) - x1](x^-1), but I don't know exactly how I'd even begin that since it's all variables. Hopefully this counts as "an attempt".

Thank you very much in advance.
It makes no sense to talk about the inverse of the vector x, since it's not a square matrix. In any case, you don't have to find the inverse of A -- just a representation for A.

Write this:
$$ \begin{bmatrix} x_1 - x_2 \\ x_2 - x_3 \\ . \\ . \\ . \\ x_n - x_1\end{bmatrix}$$
as an n X n matrix, and see where that takes you.

Mark44 said:
It makes no sense to talk about the inverse of the vector x, since it's not a square matrix. In any case, you don't have to find the inverse of A -- just a representation for A.

Write this:
$$ \begin{bmatrix} x_1 - x_2 \\ x_2 - x_3 \\ . \\ . \\ . \\ x_n - x_1\end{bmatrix}$$
as an n X n matrix, and see where that takes you.

I must be further behind than I thought, how can I write that as an n X n matrix if it is only an n X 1 matrix to begin with?

Gosh, I feel completely daft. Thanks for your help Mark, I figured it out.

In general, you can find the matrix representing linear transformation T:U-> V, using ordered basis {u1, u2, ..., un} for U and ordered basis {v1, v[/sub]2[/sub], ..., vm} for V by:

Apply T to u1. Write the result as a linear combination of the basis vectors for V. The coefficients will be the first column. Do the same thing for Tu2 to get the second column and so on.

For example, using the standard basis of Rn for both domain and range spaces, T(1, 0, 0, ..., 0)= (1- 0, 0- 0, 0- 0, ..., 0- 1)= (1, 0, 0, ..., -1) so the first column has 1 in the first row, -1 in the last row and 0 in all other rows.

1. How do I know which method to use to solve the linear algebra problem?

The method to use for solving a linear algebra problem depends on the specific problem and its requirements. Generally, there are three main methods: Gaussian Elimination, Cramer's Rule, and Matrix Inversion. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem before choosing a method. It may also be helpful to consult with a professor or textbook for guidance.

2. What are the basic steps for solving a linear algebra problem?

The basic steps for solving a linear algebra problem are: 1) write out the given information and variables, 2) determine the method to use, 3) perform the necessary calculations, 4) check your answer for accuracy, and 5) properly format and label your final solution. It is important to double-check your work and show all steps to avoid mistakes.

3. How do I deal with variables in a linear algebra problem?

Variables in a linear algebra problem represent unknown values and should be treated as such. Use algebraic manipulations to isolate the variable and solve for its value. It may also be helpful to use substitution or elimination techniques to simplify the problem and make it easier to solve.

4. Can I use a calculator for solving a linear algebra problem?

Yes, a calculator can be used for solving linear algebra problems, but it is important to use it correctly. Make sure to enter all numbers and equations accurately and check your answer for reasonableness. It is recommended to use a graphing calculator or a calculator with matrix functions for more complex problems.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a linear algebra problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a linear algebra problem include: 1) not showing all steps, 2) forgetting to properly format and label the final solution, 3) making careless errors in calculations, 4) using the wrong method, and 5) not checking the answer for accuracy. It is important to take your time and carefully work through the problem to avoid these mistakes.