1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Linear Algebra] Closed formula for recursive sequence

1. Jul 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    qsEKf8z.png

2. Relevant equations
    a) the one given
    b) det(A-λI) = 0
    find λ values using A
    c)use λ values to find eigenvectors

3. The attempt at a solution
    This wasn't explained well enough so I can understand it in class. So far, I made the matrix being multiplied to A have the following elements from top to bottom: x0 = 1, x1 = 1, x2 = 2. The one on the right has the following elements: x1 = 1, x2= 2, x3=7. Is this correct thinking? Do I just find a matrix A that maps the vector on the left to the vector on the right?
    I know how to do b) and c), I just don't know how to get A correctly.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2016 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

The usual way to describe an element of a matrix is to give it two indices, such as A[1][1] , A[1][2] or ## A_{1,1}, A_{1,2} ## etc. Which elements are you trying to describe with the phrase "from top to bottom" ?

You need a matrix A such that:

eq. 1: [itex] A_{1,1} x_k + A_{1,2} x_{k+1} + A_{1,3} x_{k+2} = x_{k+1} [/itex]
    eq 2: [itex] A_{2,1} x_k + A_{2,2} x_{k+1} + A_{2,3} x_{k+2} = x_{k+2} [/itex]
    eq 3: [itex] A_{3,1} x_k + A_{3,2} x_{k+1} + A_{3,3} x_{k+2} = x_{k+3} [/itex]

An solution to eq. 1 is [itex] A_{1,1} = 0, A_{1,2} = 1, A_{1,3} = 0 [/itex].

4. Jul 26, 2016 #3
    Sorry, I completely forgot that A was a 3x3 matrix.
    Anyways, I see how you are getting the solutions.
    For equation 2, I found these solutions:
    A21 = 0 A22 =0 A23= 1
    For equation 3, I found:
    A31 = 0 A32 = 1 A33 =3

Are those correct? Does what they give for xk+3 have anything to do with the last equation?

5. Jul 26, 2016 #4
    So A can be more than 1 matrix?

6. Jul 26, 2016 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can (and should) check that for yourself. When you substitute in your values for ##A_{31}, A_{32}## and ##A_{33}## do you get the correct recursion?

And, for your next question in post #4, why do you think there is more than one matrix? The matrix ##A## has 9 elements called ##A_{11}, A_{12} \ldots, A_{33}##.

7. Jul 26, 2016 #6
    Yes, I do. I just changed the bottom row of A to be the constants of the recursive formula given, but I kept the first 2 rows I stated the same. I verified and got the eigenvalues in b.
    I thought there was more than one matrix because in the equations, there are a combination of values for each element in A that can produce the desired elements. But it seems like there will be only one because the eigenvalues have to be verified, correct?

8. Jul 26, 2016 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have no idea what you are saying.

While it is the case that IF you apply the matrix to some smal number of initial values like ##x_0=1,x_1=, x_2 =2## (and a few more obtained from the recursion) you will get numbers on the left and numbers on the right, so will have equations like
    $$ A_{31}\: \text{number one} + A_{32}\: \text{number two} + A_{33} \:\text{number three} = \text{number four} $$
    with actual numbers. Of course you can have many possible values of ##A_{31}, A_{32}, A_{33}## that "work". However, that is irrelevant: you are supposed to find a matrix that works for all values of ##x_k, x_{k+1}, x_{k+2}, x_{k+3}## that you will ever encounter in the calculations (say for ##x_{27}, x_{28}, x_{29}, x_{30}## or for ##x_{1000}, x_{1001}, x_{1002}, x_{1003}##, etc.) and when you use that fact there can be only one possible choice for the three numbers ##A_{31}, A_{32}, A_{33}##. There is only one matrix ##A##.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  9. Jul 26, 2016 #8

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

You solution for eq. 3 doesn't work. Your solution gives [itex] x_{k+2} = x_{k+3} [/itex].

Yes !

10. Jul 26, 2016 #9

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted