Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do i build a electronic wire strippers?

1. Aug 2, 2012 #1
    Hi i work at mission central tearing down computers and other electronics plus i look for electronics at the curb that people threw out. I was wondering if i can make a wire strippers that will strip many size wire and also feed it through by its self or with a little help. I want to make it with junk or as cheaply as possible. I want to build one to recycle wire and make some extra cash. I LIVE IN TOWN AND DO NOT WANT TO BURN IT, because its illegal and bad for the air. I go to school at vo-tech for electrical engineering so i know a little about electronics but have only been there for a year. This is the school i go to http://www.cpavts.org/site/default.aspx?PageID=1 [Broken] .

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2012 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Could you melt it without actually burning it? Of course, you would have to determine whether or not that would still produce toxic fumes.
    One question: does the wire have to survive this unscathed, or can you damage it? I ask because it seems to me that one of the simplest approaches would be to repeatedly run it through a couple of sanding belts.

4. Aug 4, 2012 #3

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Could you set up a die with 2 adjustable opposing blades. Run the wire through the die with the blades adjusted to the surface of the wire, this would slit the insulation on 2 sides of the wire. Run the wire through a second die which separates the cut insulation from the wire to a take up spool.

The challenge would be to find blades which would last and be sharp enough to cut the insulation effectively.

5. Aug 4, 2012 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Ceramics might be applicable.

6. Aug 4, 2012 #5
    I was thinking disk Blade Drill a hole in something like a 2x4 put the blade on the bottom of the hole and a bolt on top to push the wire down on the blade the tricky part is how can i electronically feed it through?

7. Aug 5, 2012 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Can you elaborate upon that? Sorry, but I don't quite know what you mean. "Bolt"? If my initial impression of that is correct, as in it being a "plunger", I don't think that it's the right way to go. A friction wheel would be my approach for the final feed system, but neither of those address the problem of untangling the mass of wire preparatory to stripping it.

8. Aug 5, 2012 #7

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Feed the wire to a spool then use the spool to pull the wire through. If you wanted to get fancy throw in some friction wheels after the split and remove die.

9. Aug 5, 2012 #8
    ok i'll try.

10. Aug 5, 2012 #9

Danger

Gold Member

Good idea. I'm still concerned, though, about how to untangle the wire before it can be fed into anything. As part of my ADD/OCD, I used to pick up anything that had any hope of being useful for anything in the future... including wire. Almost all that I ever found was scrunched up and kinked and generally looked pretty much like a bird's nest. That isn't conducive to mechanized threading.

11. Aug 5, 2012 #10
    Yes lots of wire stored in my room in hopes of being turned into cash :)

12. Aug 5, 2012 #11
    Not sure of the practicality but could you use liquid nitrogen and cause the insulation to break off? I bet you could do a great deal of wire at a time.

13. Aug 5, 2012 #12
    i was sorta thing along those lines fizz except use like a week acid base.

14. Aug 5, 2012 #13

Danger

Gold Member

Doesn't that qualify as an oxymoron? :biggrin:

15. Aug 5, 2012 #14
    it shouldn't cause bad fume for the environment if a could some how jimmy rig a fume hood right?

16. Aug 6, 2012 #15

Danger

Gold Member

Close, but wrong name. The term is Jerry-rigged, or sometimes jury-rigged. :biggrin: Anyhow, the use of a vent hood will protect you but not the environment. Unless you have some fancy filter system installed, which would exceed your budgetary requirements, it will just pipe the pollutants out of the building and into the atmosphere.
    The reason that I didn't suggest an acid bath was because it will also damage the wire. In fact, the metal might be far more susceptible to acid erosion than the plastic.

17. Aug 6, 2012 #16
    Damn :( ok back to the drawing bored i talked to dad he said it might be a waist of electricity to sand the plastic off the wire :(

18. Aug 6, 2012 #17

Danger

Gold Member

You don't have to use electricity to mechanize something. How are wind conditions in your area?

19. Aug 6, 2012 #18
    i live in Mechanicsburg pa :)

20. Aug 6, 2012 #19

Danger

Gold Member

Oops. For some reason, your posts led me to think that you were in a different demographic.

21. Aug 6, 2012 #20
    demographic? whats that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook