How should i start learning how to build an electronic oscillator?

In summary, learning to build an electronic oscillator requires a basic understanding of electronics, knowledge of circuit design and components, and practice with building and troubleshooting circuits. It is recommended to start by learning the fundamental principles of electronics and familiarizing oneself with the different types of oscillators. It is also important to have the necessary tools and components, and to follow step-by-step tutorials or take a course to gain hands-on experience. Consistent practice and experimentation are key to mastering the skill of building electronic oscillators.
David lopez
How should I start learning how to
Build an electronic oscillator? Any voltage will do. It drives a led. Target frequency I 1000 hertz.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Step 1) Look up the datasheet for a CD4040 oscillator/divider IC.

Step 2) Use a 9V battery for the power supply (check the datasheet to be sure this is within the allowed power supply voltage for the CD4040

Setp 3) Use this tutorial web page to help you build and test the circuit...

http://www.bowdenshobbycircuits.info/page11.htm

• Informative
Likes anorlunda
This is for beginners?

Yeah, it's all low-frequency digital stuff. The only simpler thing would be to buy a kit and assemble it...

Attached is a lab I used to teach about simple MOS circuits and oscillators. If you build the circuit described in Section 4 with the resistors and capacitors given, you can actually see it oscillating as the LEDs switch on and off. So you don't need an oscilloscope to build and analyze this circuit.

Attachments

• MOS_Lab.pdf
    122.4 KB · Views: 283
Likes berkeman
phyzguy said:
Attached is a lab I used to teach about simple MOS circuits and oscillators
Which n-channel MOSFET did you use in the lab? Apologies if it's mentioned in the document and I missed it.

David lopez said:
Build an electronic oscillator? Any voltage will do. It drives a led. Target frequency I 1000 hertz.
David - there is a big difference between linear/harmonic oscillators (sinusoidal output) and squarewave generators ...what are you interested in?

berkeman said:
Which n-channel MOSFET did you use in the lab? Apologies if it's mentioned in the document and I missed it.

Almost any small signal NMOSFET will work. The ones we used were ON Semiconductor 2N7000 transistors. They have a threshold voltage of about 1.0 V, and cost about 40 cents apiece. Attached is a datasheet. (it does say it in Section2, but it's easy to miss.)

Attachments

• 2N7000-D-33553.pdf
    99.3 KB · Views: 250
Likes berkeman
David lopez said:
. It drives a led. Target frequency I 1000 hertz.
why a LED ?
As I said in another of your threads, it ISNT going to give visible flashing

davenn said:
why a LED ?
As I said in another of your threads, it ISNT going to give visible flashing
The oscillator I described in Post #6 will give visible flashing, but only when it oscillates at a few Hz.

David lopez said:
Until you can afford to buy some proper test equipment, you will be unable to make much useful progress with this. There is no point in making circuits of which you cannot measure their performance.
There is always lots of second hand stuff on eBay, with cheap, used Analogue Oscilloscopes, oscillators and power supplies. There are many DMMs available that will give you more than just DC volts (depending on what you pay). You do not need to stretch to very high frequencies or to very low signal levels in order to get a working knowledge of Electronics.

phyzguy said:
The oscillator I described in Post #6 will give visible flashing, but only when it oscillates at a few Hz.
I wasn't referring to your post, note the quote 😉
Yes, your cct will but none of the frequencies in the osc's the OP has so far referred to will
and that has been the ongoing problem with several of his threads

The OP, @David lopez, still hasn't understood what people have been trying to explain to him.
He is wanting to go up and up in frequency without understanding a low frequency oscillator
and to actually getting a LF one working ... even now he is suggesting a 2.4 gig oscillator :rolleyes: :frown:Dave

davenn said:
. even now he is suggesting a 2.4 gig oscillator
I don't think the OP is treating Electronics in the right way.The saying about monkeys and typewriters applies very much to Electronics.

When it comes to learning Electronics it's a matter of more haste less speed.

The easiest two Electronics projects are the smoke-making machine and the 'does nothing' circuit. Without some measuring equipment, you can't even be sure that the 'does nothing' circuit is actually doing nothing. It could be interfering with your neighbours' equipment and you may have no idea about it.

Likes davenn
There are a number of unhelpful answers on here, there are also a number of helpful sites where you can learn at your own pace. An example I found is
https://www.electronicshub.org/tutorials/
Best wishes from someone basically self-taught long before the internet was even thought of!

You're wanting to flash a LED at 1000 Hz, powered by a 9V battery? Why not use a 555 chip? Plenty of circuits to copy, then tweak components to see how they change the result. It will be generating a rectangular waveform, not sinusoidal.

To see the strobing, and to compare ON duration with OFF duration, build everything compactly on one board, then in a darkened room hold the board in your extended arm and swing it vigorously in a wide arc, back and forth as fast as you can, and you'll he able to see the path traced out by the LED comprises lit and unlit portions. 1000 Hz is about the upper limit to see this, so I suggest that you design for around 100 Hz to start with, then once that is operating as desired, just change the R or C timing component(s) to produce your higher frequency.

Likes osilmag and sophiecentaur
NascentOxygen said:
hold the board in your extended arm and swing it vigorously
A mechanical oscilloscope. What a good idea,

sophiecentaur said:
You've clearly never seen the lighted frisbees with button cells and pulsed LEDs on the rim. I even saw one with a stack of seven LEDs and a processor that would write messages when rotating a la times square in NYC ! Great ingenuity..

berkeman said:
BTW @David lopez -- You mentioned in another thread that you did not have access to an oscilloscope to help you work on the circuits you are building as you learn electronics. Here is a thread that discusses the options for inexpensive USB-based oscilloscopes. They have some limitations, but would probably work out well for what you are doing now:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/any-recommendations-for-a-good-cheap-usb-oscilloscope.936167/
:smile:

A fairly good USB scope that has a lot of other useful features is the Analog Discovery 2. The scopre is only good for about 10MHz, but it also has a protocol analyzer, spectrum analyzer, signal generator, power supplies and other things tht would be really expensive as separate self contained equipment. It runs about $300.00 but there is a student discount to the extent that it costs little more than the analog devices ADC built into it.

Likes berkeman
hutchphd said:
You've clearly never seen the lighted frisbees with button cells and pulsed LEDs on the rim. I even saw one with a stack of seven LEDs and a processor that would write messages when rotating a la times square in NYC ! Great ingenuity..
You're right. My grandkids have an aeroplane / scoot along toy and the prop rotates and the leds form a pattern. I believe you can get bike wheels that display words on them, too.
On second thoughts, it's more of a mechanical TV scan than an oscilloscope.

Likes hutchphd
sophiecentaur said:
Sweeping your eyes back and forth when following a vehicle with LED tail lights at night does the same thing. Quite irritating honestly. I have always wondered if it would be feasible to encode vehicle information onto the signal driving the tail lights on these vehicles. A device you point at the tail lights instantly tells you about the vehicle. Maybe some slight phase modulation could accomplish this.

Likes sophiecentaur
David lopez said:

A 555 timer is a cheap way to make an oscillator. The data sheet shows you how to set the frequency.

https://www.electroschematics.com/650/lm555-datasheet/

Likes hutchphd
osilmag said:
A 555 timer is a cheap way to make an oscillator. The data sheet shows you how to set the frequency.

https://www.electroschematics.com/650/lm555-datasheet/
Also the single most useful IC ever made IMHO. Buy a bunch from someplace cheap.

What is an electronic oscillator?

An electronic oscillator is a circuit that produces a periodic, repetitive electronic signal, typically in the form of a sine wave, square wave, or triangle wave.

Why should I learn how to build an electronic oscillator?

Electronic oscillators are essential components in many electronic devices, such as radios, televisions, computers, and cell phones. By learning how to build an electronic oscillator, you will have a better understanding of how these devices work and be able to troubleshoot and repair them if needed.

What are the basic components needed to build an electronic oscillator?

The basic components needed to build an electronic oscillator include a power source, a resistor, a capacitor, and an inductor. These components work together to create a feedback loop that produces the oscillating signal.

How can I learn how to build an electronic oscillator?

There are many resources available for learning how to build an electronic oscillator, including online tutorials, books, and classes. It is recommended to start with basic electronic circuitry and gradually work your way up to more complex oscillator circuits.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when building an electronic oscillator?

Some common mistakes to avoid when building an electronic oscillator include using incorrect component values, poor soldering techniques, and not following proper safety precautions. It is also important to double-check your circuit design and troubleshoot any issues that may arise.