How do I calculate partial derivatives for this homework problem?

• Thread starter michaeljlyons
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the conversation involves calculating partial derivatives for a given function, and the individual has shown their work and asked for confirmation on its correctness.
michaeljlyons

Homework Statement

calculate Δƒ/Δx and Δƒ/Δy.

ƒ(x,y) = x(y^2) + (x^2)y

any help will be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show some work before we can help you. In order to attempt the question, you first need to know what Δƒ/Δx and Δƒ/Δy are. Can you tell us?

well what i did was

Δƒ/Δx = 2*x*y + y^2
Δƒ/Δy = x^2 + 2*x*y

but iam not sure if iam doing this right

f(x,y) confuses me forgot how to deal with this

Last edited:
It looks like you are taking partial derivatives of f(x,y) wrt to x and y. IF that's what you were trying to do, then you are in good shape.

so then my answer

Δƒ/Δx = 2*x*y + y^2
Δƒ/Δy = x^2 + 2*x*y

is correct right? for f(x,y)

Whether your answer is correct depends on what the question is. It's right if your delta notation is supposed to mean 'partial derivative'. It's not the usual notation.

Related to How do I calculate partial derivatives for this homework problem?

1. Why do I need help with my homework?

There could be various reasons why you might need help with your homework. These include struggling to understand the concepts, having a busy schedule, or simply needing a second opinion to ensure accuracy.

2. Who can help me with my homework?

You can seek help from a teacher, tutor, friend, or family member who is knowledgeable in the subject. You can also use online resources or ask for help from a professional homework help service.

3. Can I get help with my homework for free?

There are many free resources available for homework help, such as online tutorials, study guides, and forums. However, if you need personalized assistance, you may have to pay for it.

4. How can I make sure the help I receive is reliable?

When seeking help with your homework, it is important to verify the credibility of the source. Look for reviews or ask for recommendations from others who have used the same resource.

5. What are the benefits of getting help with my homework?

Getting help with your homework can improve your understanding of the subject, save you time, and help you achieve better grades. It can also boost your confidence and reduce stress related to completing assignments.