How do I calculate the diameter of a cyclinder using F= P x A ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter wolfmanwm
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Diameter
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
wolfmanwm
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
How do I calculate the diameter of a cyclinder using F= P x A ??

I need to be able to state the diameter of a pneumatic cyclinder using F= P x A


I have the following given information;

This is a lift with the required force being 2000 Newtons.

The pressure applied to the system is 2.5N/mm2

So I need an answer to the calculated diameter of the cyclinder required to make the lift work from the given inforation.

What do I need to do with the 2.5N/mm2 ? Do I need to use 3.4 (∏) to times the 2.5?

Thanks, Wayne
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Use algebra to solve your equation for A in terms of F and P. Substitute the data to find A. What is the equation for the area of a circle A in terms of its diameter D?