How Do I Calculate the Force to Crush a Steel Pipe?

  • Thread starter Thread starter zjn12385
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Force Pipe
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 22K views
zjn12385
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
What equation(s) do I use to calculate the weight necessary to crush a pipe lying horizontally on the ground and the point at which the initial deformation occurs. What is the name of this property? I'd like to compare my findings with a manufacturer's specs.

I have a 3000 lb weight resting flat on four plates. Each plate is resting on 30 pipes that are lying side by side horizontally. Assuming that the weight is square, that each plate is flush with a different corner of the weight, and that each plate is 4" x 15", what is the force exerting on one pipe?

Pipe Dimensions:
Length = 4"
Diameter = 0.5"
Wall Thickness = .0625"
Material = Steel

It's been awhile since I've done statics.:confused:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
zjn12385 said:
What equation(s) do I use to calculate the weight necessary to crush a pipe lying horizontally on the ground and the point at which the initial deformation occurs. What is the name of this property? I'd like to compare my findings with a manufacturer's specs.

I have a 3000 lb weight resting flat on four plates. Each plate is resting on 30 pipes that are lying side by side horizontally. Assuming that the weight is square, that each plate is flush with a different corner of the weight, and that each plate is 4" x 15", what is the force exerting on one pipe?

Pipe Dimensions:
Length = 4"
Diameter = 0.5"
Wall Thickness = .0625"
Material = Steel

i think you are looking for the "yield strength" after which point deformation to the pipe is permanent.
You need an accurate description of the type of steel and it's modulus of elasticity.

I'd assume the force per pipe is 3,000lbs/4 plates/30 pipes per plate = ~29 lbs.
That is, if I understand correctly, that you have 30 pipes under each plate, so 120 pipes total.
 
This is a case for FEA. There's an excellent book out there called, "Roarks's Formulas for Stress and Strain." It has cases for a very wide variety of geometries. I'm unaware of the Roarks's book covering the case you describe.

Those who don't have access to FEA sometimes refer to books such as Roark's. Given that that case isn't in Roark's, then I recommend FEA.
 
check this site out... it might help...

http://www.roscoemoss.com/calculations/calculation-1.html
 
Last edited by a moderator: