Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate the flat plate thickness to withstand25kpsi

1. Mar 30, 2015 #1
    we are building a hydrotesting chamber, the steel plate will be a sheild wall.
    if something goes wrong in pressure testing the steel plate should withstand the pressure without deforming, i am stuck in how to calculate the thickness applicable to withstand it.
    hydrotesting pressure is 25,000 psi , need a formula to calculate this.
    example if a 20inch material pipe,union,bolt etc, comes direct contact with the plate how much thickness should it be to hold it without leaving the chamber.plate details are below.
    steel grade : SPHC
    width(mm) : 1219 -flat plate
    yield strngth: 249
    uts : 346
    pressure : 25,000psi
    holding period : aprrox. 10 min in 2 stages
    how to calculate what thickness of plate should be used.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2015 #2
    I think the concept of thin cylinders and thick cylinders needs to be applied(I might be wrong-not sure just a guess). So we should first decide which type of cylinder we want to use.
    And specifically if it's an thick walled cylinder. Then permissible stress condition and equations are given here : http://courses.washington.edu/me354a/Thick Walled Cylinders.pdf

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook