How do I calculate the height of a tower using motion in one dimension?

  • Thread starter Thread starter agm2010
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Dimension Motion
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
agm2010
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
I have a few problems I'm having trouble with. If I can get some help with this one I should be able to figure out the rest I have.

1. A rock is thrown downward from the top of a tower with an initial speed of 12 m/s. If the rock hits the ground after 2.0 s, what is the height of the tower? (neglect air resistance).

Known:
[tex]Vi=12m/s[/tex]
[tex]\Delta t=2 s[/tex]
[tex]a=9.8 m/s[/tex]

Relevant equations:
[tex]Vf^2=Vi^2+2a(\Delta y)[/tex]
My attempt:
[tex]\Delta y=Vf^2-Vi^2-(2a)[/tex]
[tex]\Delta y=0-144-(2*9.8 m/s^2)[/tex]
[tex]\Delta y=-163.6[/tex]
[tex]Height=163.6 m[/tex]

I'm not sure if this is right. I think I run into trouble when I rearrange the formula. Multiple choice answer D is 63 m, so it's either a typo or I'm doing something wrong. A little guidance please? Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ah, ok. I see what I did.

Corrected formula:
[tex]\Delta y=Vf^2-Vi^2/2a[/tex]I also need to first find the final velocity:

[tex]Vf=Vi+a(\Delta t)[/tex]
[tex]Vf=12 m/s + 9.8 m/s^2 (2 s)[/tex]
[tex]Vf=31.6 m/s[/tex]

Now for [tex]\Delta y[/tex]:

[tex]\Delta y = (31.6m/s^2) - (12 m/s^2) / 2(9.8m/s^2)[/tex]:
[tex]\Delta y = 43.6 m[/tex]
Height: 44 m

So it turned out to be a silly mistake. At least I learned from it. Thanks rl.bhat!
 
You can also derive the formula that you need.

Here is an alternative way to solve this problem. This will help.

Given that the acceleration is 9.8 m/s^2 we know that

[tex]\ddot{x}=9.8 m/s^2[/tex]

and given that the initial velocity is 12 m/s, we can get

[tex]\dot{x}=9.8t + 12[/tex]

and finally, setting the initial point as 0 m

[tex]x=\frac{9.8}{2}t^2+12t[/tex]

Now you can plug in t=2 sec, and you get

[tex]x=43.6 m[/tex]

A simple calculus trick. This will help you solving more complicated problems later, without any formulae memorized. =)