How Do I Calculate the Index of Refraction in a Prism?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
mikeyplus10
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


For my lab I beamed a laser through an equilateral triangular prism. The angle of incidence was 13 degrees. The light left the prism at an angle 15 degrees to the normal. How would I calculate the index of refraction of the prism? (air = 1)


Homework Equations


The equation I need to use is θ_c = sin^-1 (n2/n1)
Snell's law



The Attempt at a Solution


I have tried using snell's law to find the first refraction in the prism. 1.00*(sin13) = n_2*θ_2. I believe to find θ_2, I need to use the geometry of the triangle, but am not sure where to begin
 
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi mikeyplus10! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 buttons just above the Reply box :wink:

first, draw a diagram, including the normals

(and remember that the angle between two lines is the same as the angle between their normals)