1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Prisms connected by a material of refractive index n

1. Sep 28, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The prisms have a refractive index ##n_1=1.3## at wavelength ##\lambda=300nm## and are connected by a material with refractive index ##n_2##. What is the refractive index ##n_2## so that light of wavelength ##>\lambda## follow path 2, and light at ##<\lambda## follow path 3?
    Untitled.png

2. Relevant equations
    ##\sin\theta_c=\frac{n_2}{n_1}##
    ##n=\frac{c}{v}=\frac{c}{f\lambda}##

3. The attempt at a solution

I am very confused as to how the wavelength of light effects total internal reflection. I can solve for the frequency of the light by using ##n=\frac{c}{f\lambda}\Rightarrow f=\frac{c}{n\lambda}## but I'm not entirely sure this is useful. I also have that ##\sin\theta_c=\frac{n_2}{n_1}## which can be rewritten as ##\sin\theta_c=\frac{\lambda_1}{\lambda_2}## The critical angle is a constant in this case I think? it's 45 degrees since the light is always coming in parallel to the bottom of the prisms but I don't understand how varying ##\lambda## is going to change whether or not it exits the prisms.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2015 #2

Daz

Gold Member

The question only says that n1 is 1.3 at a particular wavelength: 300nm. Do you suppose it could be different at other wavelengths? How would it vary?

4. Sep 28, 2015 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The refractive index depends on the wavelength, so the critical angle depends on it as well. Here, the transition between total reflection and transmission is supposed to be at a wavelength of 300 nm, so you can calculate the necessary refractive index at 300 nm to be directly at the transition.

5. Sep 28, 2015 #4
    So the correct refractive index then is ##n_1=\frac{n_2}{\sin\theta_1}##, edit: I mean ##n_2=n_1\sin\theta_1## sorry for all the mistakes I'm on my phone

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted