How Do I Calculate the Load Capacity of My Inverted L-Shaped Car Port Post?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 8K views
Bencrx91
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Good day everyone.

I have built a car port post in an inverted L shape and want to calculate the load that it can support.

I think I have “over-killed” the posts enough.
I am curious to see how much weight this structure could hold.

Any way of calculating the load at the area which support the wood beam ?

All metal is 1/4" thick.
Base mounting bolts/rod is 5/8"
All joints are welded with arc-welding @ 7018 @ 1/8" rod.

Concrete base 12" sonotube with 24" footing @ 8" thick.
Embedded re-bar 2 part setup .

See attached pictures.

Thanks,
Ben
 
Attachments
  • Poteaux_001_Assemblé_001a.jpg
    Poteaux_001_Assemblé_001a.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 875
  • Poteaux_001_Assemblé_002a.jpg
    Poteaux_001_Assemblé_002a.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 782
  • Poteaux_001.jpg
    Poteaux_001.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 868
Engineering news on Phys.org
Other pics.
 
Attachments
  • PoteauTerminé.jpg
    PoteauTerminé.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 736
  • Poteaux_001_Assemblé_003.jpg
    Poteaux_001_Assemblé_003.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 696
  • BoltRack.jpg
    BoltRack.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 1,213
Bencrx91 said:
Concrete base 12" sonotube with 24" footing @ 8" thick.
Where do you live?

Where I live - in Canada, Sonotubes are not a good thing. Water seeps down, freezes in the winter and then pushes the concrete straight up the smooth inside of the Sonotube.

And we got to go down 36" - 48".

(Just finished building my own carport.)

http://davesbrain.livejournal.com/2011/11/05/
 
Thanks for the reply Dave, I live near Ottawa, Canada.

I have poured a 24" diameter footing @ 5ft deep then poured the sonotube on top of it with rebar joining the concrete footing and sonotube. Code require 4ft deep, I have 5ft, it should be good.

Sonotube without "base/footings" if not deep enough will be moved out of the soil from freeze and thaw. (i.e. most people do the sonotubes for fences and dig only 24", 2 years after the fence is out of alignment).

Cheers!
Ben
 
Bencrx91 said:
Thanks for the reply Dave, I live near Ottawa, Canada.

I have poured a 24" diameter footing @ 5ft deep then poured the sonotube on top of it with rebar joining the concrete footing and sonotube. Code require 4ft deep, I have 5ft, it should be good.

Sonotube without "base/footings" if not deep enough will be moved out of the soil from freeze and thaw. (i.e. most people do the sonotubes for fences and dig only 24", 2 years after the fence is out of alignment).

Cheers!
Ben

Ah! (Chance were highly unlikely you were anywhere near as far North as I - let alone farther. High five!)
 
Jesoosi Chistoosi - are those four inch square steel tubes? You could park a second car up there!
 
Almost ... 3.5" tubing @ 1/4" in thick.
I know, it's overkill haha, but I would really like to see how much it can support.
A car... or a dump truck ? haha.