How do I calculate the torque of precession for a spinning wheel?

In summary, torque of precession is a rotational force that causes a spinning object to rotate around a different axis. To calculate torque of precession, you will need to know the angular velocity, moment of inertia, and angle between the axis of rotation and applied force. This formula can be used for any spinning object. Factors that affect torque of precession for a spinning wheel include angular velocity, moment of inertia, and the shape and size of the wheel. Torque of precession is different from torque of rotation in that it causes rotation around a different axis and is affected by angular velocity, while torque of rotation causes rotation around its own axis and is affected by linear velocity.
Webbd050
Is it just equal to the external torque acting on the spinning wheel?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Im not sure of the actual name but a spinning object has a stabilising effect such as with the bike wheel experiment. How would i calculate the force required to overcome this stabilising ?

1. What is torque of precession?

Torque of precession is a rotational force that acts on a spinning object, causing it to precess or rotate around a different axis.

2. How do I calculate the torque of precession for a spinning wheel?

To calculate the torque of precession, you will need to know the angular velocity of the spinning wheel, the moment of inertia of the wheel, and the angle between the axis of rotation and the direction of the applied force. The formula for torque of precession is T = Iωsinθ, where T is the torque, I is the moment of inertia, ω is the angular velocity, and θ is the angle between the axis of rotation and the applied force.

3. Can I use the same formula to calculate torque of precession for any spinning object?

Yes, the formula T = Iωsinθ can be used to calculate torque of precession for any spinning object as long as you have the necessary information, such as angular velocity and moment of inertia.

4. What factors affect the torque of precession for a spinning wheel?

The torque of precession for a spinning wheel is affected by the angular velocity of the wheel, the moment of inertia of the wheel, and the angle between the axis of rotation and the applied force. Additionally, the shape and size of the wheel can also impact the torque of precession.

5. How is torque of precession different from torque of rotation?

Torque of precession is a rotational force that causes a spinning object to rotate around a different axis, while torque of rotation is a rotational force that causes an object to rotate around its own axis. Additionally, torque of precession is affected by the angular velocity of the spinning object, while torque of rotation is affected by the linear velocity of the rotating object.