1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I calculate the volume of this?

1. Feb 15, 2007 #1
    How do I calculate the volume of this??

What is the volume of the region bounded by y = x^2, y = 1, and the y-axis rotated around the y -axis

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2007 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

define a voklume function, as a function of y, by letting V(y) be that portion of the volume lying below height y. then the derivative of this function i the area of the circular face of this portion of volume, i.e. dV/dy = πr^2 where r = x = sqrt(y), so dV/dy = πy. so you guess a formula for V(y) and then plug in y = 1.

4. Feb 15, 2007 #3
    I should do this using integral.. I was thinking of slicing this region vertically but then how do I represent this in integrals?? I have to take integrals from -1 to 1 right?

I would evaluate this as the integral from 0 to 1 of (1-squareroot of y)^2 dy

is that right??

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  5. Feb 16, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why in the world would you slice it vertically? Since it is rotated around the y-axis, slices horizontally will be disks with radius x. Each would have area [itex]\pi x^2= \pi y[/itex] and each infinitesmal disc will have volume [itex]\pi y dy[/itex]. Integrate that.

6. Feb 16, 2007 #5

I am sorry that's my mistake. I would slice it horizontally and take the integral from 0 to 1. And shouldn't the radius be 1-square root of y?? Because it's the intersection of y = x^2 and y = x

7. Feb 16, 2007 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Where did you get y= x from? Your original post was:

Every horizontal "slice" is a circle with center at the y-axis, x= 0, and the end of a radius at [itex]x= \sqrt{y}[/itex]. Of course, the area of the disk is [itex]\pi x^2= \pi y[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?