How do I choose the first f_try without given criteria for friction factor?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 1K views
foo9008
Messages
676
Reaction score
4

Homework Statement


is there any criteria when it comes to choosing the first f_try ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


in my opinion , there must be at least either relative roughness(ε) given or Reynold number given , so that we can find the first f_try ...But , it is not given in this question , is the question wrong ?
 

Attachments

  • p00.JPG
    p00.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 383
  • DSC_0501.JPG
    DSC_0501.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 432
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think they worry about roughness - it's considered to come as a given with the choice of pipe . I suppose it can be ignored to pick the first f. The point is that the friction factor depends on Re and Re depends on the friction factor. So the solution has to be iterative.

By the way, which of the wavy vague pictures are you referring to ? I could only find something in 4.9 but I hate reading these jpgs.
 
BvU said:
I don't think they worry about roughness - it's considered to come as a given with the choice of pipe . I suppose it can be ignored to pick the first f. The point is that the friction factor depends on Re and Re depends on the friction factor. So the solution has to be iterative.

By the way, which of the wavy vague pictures are you referring to ? I could only find something in 4.9 but I hate reading these jpgs.
y , i uploaded the wrong pictures, here's the second picture which is continuous from the first one.
pls ignore the dsc0501
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0506.JPG
    DSC_0506.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 439
BvU said:
I don't think they worry about roughness - it's considered to come as a given with the choice of pipe . I suppose it can be ignored to pick the first f. The point is that the friction factor depends on Re and Re depends on the friction factor. So the solution has to be iterative.

By the way, which of the wavy vague pictures are you referring to ? I could only find something in 4.9 but I hate reading these jpgs.

when it comes to choosing friction factor , it depends on the Reynold number and the relative roughness, am i right ?
 
BvU said:
I don't think they worry about roughness - it's considered to come as a given with the choice of pipe . I suppose it can be ignored to pick the first f. The point is that the friction factor depends on Re and Re depends on the friction factor. So the solution has to be iterative.

By the way, which of the wavy vague pictures are you referring to ? I could only find something in 4.9 but I hate reading these jpgs.
but the Reynold number is also UNKNOWN from the start ? the D is unknown , so how to choose friction factor in this case?
 
It's a starting value: a guestimate. The idea is that another initial value should lead to the same final result after a (possibly different) number of iterations.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: foo9008