Thermo Calculation for Diluting 2.5% H3PO4 at 353°C to 100°C with Water

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
sout528
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi there

If I have 2.5% H3PO4 at 353 degrees C and I need to bring the solution down to 100 degrees C only by adding any amount water, how do I go about the thermo calculation? I need final temperature and amount of water (thus final concentration... likely <0.1 M? ) Heat capacity approaches 1 as concentration approaches 0, and the heat of dilution approaches 0 in the same way. Thanks for any advice.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That's just a heat balance, but as you start close to critical point the main problem is that the heat capacity changes. Instead of using q=mcΔT you need to use

[tex]q = m\int c dT[/tex]

and integrate from Tstart to Tfinal.