How do I draw a free-body diagram for an object sliding down an inclined plane?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 10K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Misr said:
Hello there ,
I don't know how to draw free body diagrams ,
so can u illustrate to me how to draw an FBD for an object sliding down a ramp like this one.
http://ffden-2.phys.uaf.edu/211_fall2004.web.dir/Jeff_Levison/freebody_diagram.jpg
illustrate this in details , please

Thanks

This is a rather vague question. What exactly don't you know? The figure already shows you, in detail, what the FBD should look like. So where are you having a problem? When I had students who asked me a question like this, I often find that they're having problems with the mathematics, i.e. trig and geometry, and not the physics.

This is a standard school work. Start with the simpler form, such as a mass on a horizontal surface. Can you draw the FBD for that? In other words, show us what you already know, and we can work from there. It is the only way to figure out the source of your problem.

Zz.
 
such as a mass on a horizontal surface. Can you draw the FBD for that?
Yes i can

I'm havin a prob with the imaginary line down the ramp , which is equilibruim with the normal force
I don't know why do we suppose so.
I don't know why should the angle of inclination of the ramp should equal the angle of inclination of the normal force

I think these are my problems
 
When you draw free-body diagrams, what are the forces you include and don't include? What is the minimum annotation a free-body diagram must have?
 
Read these:
http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/newtlaws/u2l2c.cfm"
http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/vectors/u3l3e.cfm"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Read these:
Drawing Free-Body Diagrams
Inclined Planes
This website is magnificent
Thanks , my problem is solved now .