Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: How do I draw the diagram of the mirror charge

1. Jul 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two point charges +q and -q are placed respectively in positions (-a, 0, +a) and (-a, 0, -a) of a cartesian reference frame, with a being positive and known. The half space of positive x is fully occupied by a conductor. What are the positions and values of the mirror charges in this specific case?

The mirror charge for +q is: -q at (a, 0, +a)
    The mirror charge for -q is: +q at (a, 0, -a)

DRAW A SKETCH
    how do I do this considering that 'the half-space of positive x is fully occupied by a conductor'

3. The attempt at a solution

drawing a line at y=0, z=0 on the x-axis but only for positive x
    but this is wrong

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

What geometrical object describes the interface between the filled half-space and the unfilled half space?

4. Jul 15, 2011 #3
    all i could picture was this semi-infinite block filling the positive x space. but since you said the word 'interface' does it mean i can just sort of not see it as a block, and just see it as an infinite plane on the y-z plane? so i sketch the y-z plane?

5. Jul 15, 2011 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Everything is at y = 0, so I suggest you draw/sketch the zx-plane .

6. Jul 15, 2011 #5
    "The half space of positive x is fully occupied by a conductor"
    i cant understand this line?
    which space?

7. Jul 15, 2011 #6

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You can sketch the yz plane and indicate that to the +x side is conductor, and to the -x side is empty space. If you want to get fancy, you can indicate a portion of the conductor region as a 'cutaway' section, implying that it extends indefinitely. Something like this:

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37208&stc=1&d=1310746184

Attached Files:

• Fig1.gif
      Fig1.gif
      File size:
      26.7 KB
      Views:
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook