1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I draw the diagram of the mirror charge

1. Jul 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two point charges +q and -q are placed respectively in positions (-a, 0, +a) and (-a, 0, -a) of a cartesian reference frame, with a being positive and known. The half space of positive x is fully occupied by a conductor. What are the positions and values of the mirror charges in this specific case?

The mirror charge for +q is: -q at (a, 0, +a)
    The mirror charge for -q is: +q at (a, 0, -a)

DRAW A SKETCH
    how do I do this considering that 'the half-space of positive x is fully occupied by a conductor'

3. The attempt at a solution

drawing a line at y=0, z=0 on the x-axis but only for positive x
    but this is wrong

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

What geometrical object describes the interface between the filled half-space and the unfilled half space?

4. Jul 15, 2011 #3
    all i could picture was this semi-infinite block filling the positive x space. but since you said the word 'interface' does it mean i can just sort of not see it as a block, and just see it as an infinite plane on the y-z plane? so i sketch the y-z plane?

5. Jul 15, 2011 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Everything is at y = 0, so I suggest you draw/sketch the zx-plane .

6. Jul 15, 2011 #5
    "The half space of positive x is fully occupied by a conductor"
    i cant understand this line?
    which space?

7. Jul 15, 2011 #6

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You can sketch the yz plane and indicate that to the +x side is conductor, and to the -x side is empty space. If you want to get fancy, you can indicate a portion of the conductor region as a 'cutaway' section, implying that it extends indefinitely. Something like this:

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37208&stc=1&d=1310746184

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook