How do I express the frequency of the hour hand?

In summary, the cyclic frequency of the hour hand is 1/43,200 Hz. This can also be expressed as 1/720 RPMs or 1/2 cycles per day. The hour hand takes 12 hours to complete one cycle, giving it a frequency of 1/43200 Hz.
LoveKnowledge
I know that in a second it is 1/60 Hz. In a minute it is 1/3600 Hz. How do I express it in hour hand? I am a little confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't just want the answer, also the explanation so that I know! I am just a little confused...thx

I think 1/43,200 Hz? But I am just a little confused with the explanation.

You're not making any sense. Hz is cycles per second. So how many cycles per second do you have (of what?)? Per hour?

[edit] er - I missed the title...you shouldn't need any math to do the frequency (revolutions?) of the hour hand per hour. And then you can go from there to the other two.

Last edited:
LoveKnowledge said:
I think 1/43,200 Hz? But I am just a little confused with the explanation.

Your answer is correct. The cyclic frequency in Hertz is just the reciprocal of the period in seconds. (f=1/T)

Here T=43200 seconds which is the time it takes the hour hand to go around once, which it does in 12 hours, of course.

There is not much explanation that one can give other that to consider the definition of frequency in Hz as cycles per second.

Other units for frequency include revolutions per minute RPM and radians per second, angular frequency.

The hour hand also spins at 1/720 RPMs.

Of course, you are free to make up your own units, and expressing frequency as 2 cycles per day might not be a bad idea.

1. How do I express the frequency of the hour hand in terms of revolutions per hour?

The frequency of the hour hand is typically expressed in revolutions per hour (RPH), which represents the number of complete rotations the hour hand makes in one hour. This can be calculated by dividing the number of hours in a day (24) by the number of hours it takes for the hour hand to make one full revolution (12), resulting in a frequency of 2 RPH.

2. Is there a formula for calculating the frequency of the hour hand?

Yes, there is a formula for calculating the frequency of the hour hand. It is given by f = 1/T, where f is the frequency in RPH and T is the time it takes for the hour hand to make one full revolution, measured in hours. For example, if T = 0.5 hours, then f = 1/0.5 = 2 RPH.

3. Can the frequency of the hour hand be converted to other units of time?

Yes, the frequency of the hour hand can be converted to other units of time such as revolutions per minute (RPM) or revolutions per second (RPS). To convert from RPH to RPM, simply multiply the frequency by 60 (since there are 60 minutes in an hour). To convert from RPH to RPS, multiply the frequency by 3600 (since there are 3600 seconds in an hour).

4. How does the frequency of the hour hand affect the timekeeping of a clock?

The frequency of the hour hand is directly related to the accuracy of a clock's timekeeping. If the frequency is too high, the hour hand will move too quickly and the clock will gain time. If the frequency is too low, the hour hand will move too slowly and the clock will lose time. Thus, it is important for the frequency to be precisely calibrated for accurate timekeeping.

5. Can the frequency of the hour hand change over time?

Yes, the frequency of the hour hand can change over time due to factors such as wear and tear on the clock's mechanism or changes in temperature. This can affect the accuracy of the clock's timekeeping and may require adjustments to be made to the frequency in order to keep it running accurately.