How do I find the amplitude of the combined signal?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
alexdr5398
Messages
31
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


hkr0WaQ.jpg


Homework Equations


Δφ = 2π (Δr/λ)

The Attempt at a Solution


I understand how to get the phase difference, but is the equation for the combined wave (second last line) just something I should memorize?

Also, where does the sin term go in the last line? And why are the units for amplitude "μV/m"? Aren't V/m the units for electric field?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
alexdr5398 said:
I understand how to get the phase difference, but is the equation for the combined wave (second last line) just something I should memorize?
Probably. It's that or memorize the trig identity for sin(A) + sin(B) which is used to derive it. While the latter is more useful in general, the former is more likely to be expedient in the context of your current coursework.

alexdr5398 said:
Also, where does the sin term go in the last line? And why are the units for amplitude "μV/m"? Aren't V/m the units for electric field?
The sin function varies between + and - 1 as t varies, so what's its magnitude?. The rest are constant terms.

The "μ" in μV stands for "micro". Thus the signal strength is being given in microvolts per meter.
 
gneill said:
The sin function varies between + and - 1 as t varies, so what's its magnitude?. The rest are constant terms.

Oh I see. So the maximum y value is the amplitude, and that occurs then the sin term is 1.

gneill said:
The "μ" in μV stands for "micro". Thus the signal strength is being given in microvolts per meter.

I know what "μ" is, but isn't the amplitude usually measured in metres? Why is the unit "μV/m" in this case?
 
alexdr5398 said:
I know what "μ" is, but isn't the amplitude usually measured in metres? Why is the unit "μV/m" in this case?
It's the amplitude of the electric field strength that is being measured. That's the change in electric potential with distance, hence volts per meter as the basic unit. The amplitude here is not a physical distance, but a field strength.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: alexdr5398
gneill said:
It's the amplitude of the electric field strength that is being measured. That's the change in electric potential with distance, hence volts per meter as the basic unit. The amplitude here is not a physical distance, but a field strength.

Oh, alright. thank you.