How do I find the gauge pressure?

In summary, the question is asking for the gauge pressure on the bottom of a rectangular fish tank that measures .75 x .50 m and is filled with water to a height of 65 cm. To calculate this, we can use the equation P = density x gravity x height, where gravity is 9.8 and the density of water can be taken as 1000 kg/m^3. The height we should use is 0.65 m, as this is the depth of water at the bottom of the tank. This will give us the answer in Pa, or pascals.
jle1092
A rectangular fish tank measuring .75 x .50 m is filled with water to a height of 65 cm. What is the gauge pressure on the bottom of the tank?

So I'm pretty sure I use the equation P=densityxgravityxheight

I know gravity is 9.8, but I'm not sure what height I should use considering it is at the bottom of the tank. Do I use 0? or .65 m? Also, I'm not sure what to do for the density. I don't have the mass of the tank so I can't use mass divided by volume. I know the density of water is 101,300 Pa per 10.6 m of water but I need density to be in kg/m^3 to get my answer in Pa. Can someone help

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless instructed otherwise, take the density of water to be 1000kg/m3, which is 1 g/cm3.

Yes, density changes with depth and temperature and salinity. But it's unlikely to vary much in a few feet of depth in an indoor, temperature regulated fish tank!

How do I find the gauge pressure?

The gauge pressure can be found by subtracting the atmospheric pressure from the absolute pressure. This can be calculated using the equation: gauge pressure = absolute pressure - atmospheric pressure.

What is the difference between gauge pressure and absolute pressure?

Gauge pressure is the pressure measured relative to atmospheric pressure, while absolute pressure is the total pressure at a given point. Gauge pressure does not take into account atmospheric pressure, while absolute pressure does.

How do I measure atmospheric pressure?

Atmospheric pressure can be measured using a barometer. This device measures the weight of the atmosphere above it, and the resulting measurement is the atmospheric pressure in units of force per unit area (such as psi or Pa).

How does gauge pressure affect fluid flow?

Gauge pressure plays a crucial role in fluid flow, as it is the driving force behind the flow. Fluids will always flow from areas of higher pressure to areas of lower pressure, so the difference in gauge pressure between two points will determine the direction and rate of fluid flow.

Can gauge pressure be negative?

Yes, gauge pressure can be negative. This occurs when the absolute pressure is less than the atmospheric pressure. In this case, the gauge pressure is negative because the pressure at that point is lower than the atmospheric pressure.