1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Angles Between Horizontal Planes and Multivariable Functions

1. Oct 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose a mountain is described by the function z = 10x^2 * y − 5x^2 − 4y^2 − x^4 − 2y^4 and that you are standing at the point (1,1,−2). The positive x-axis points east and the positive y- axis points north. If you walk in the northeast direction what angle above the horizontal does your path make?

2. Relevant equations
    cos(θ) = (v • w)/(|v||w|) (But I'm not sure this is even relevant.)
    z - z0 = fx(x0,y0)(x-x0) + fy(x0,y0)(y-y0)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am not convinced that this will work, but I intend to find a tangent plane at (1,1,-2). Then, using the normal vectors I have between the tangent and the xy-plane, I will calculate the angle.

fx = 20xy - 10x - 4x^3
    fy = 10x^2 - 8y - 8y^3

Evaluated at (1,1) gives,

fx = 6
    fy = -6

so,

z + 2 = 6(x-1) - 6(y-1), which I rearrange to give,

0 = 6(x-1) - 6(y-1) - 1(z + 2)

So, I think I have normal vector <6,-6,-1>, and a normal vector on the xy-plane, <0,0,1>.

So,

cos(θ) = (-1)/sqrt(73). So θ = arccos((-1)/sqrt(73)), which is obtuse, so, replacing <0,0,1> with its negative gives θ = arccos((1)/sqrt(73))

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What you need is the directional derivative: if [itex]D_\theta f(x, y)[/itex] is the derivative of f(x,y) in the direction that makes angle [itex]\theta[/itex] with the positive x-axis (so that [itex]\partial f/\partial x= D_0 f[/itex] and [itex]\partial f/\partial y= D_{\theta/2} f[/itex], then
    [tex]D_\theta f= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} cos(\theta)+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} sin(\theta)[/tex]

Similarly, if [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] is a unit vector the derivative in the direction of that vector is
    [tex]\nabla f \cdot \vec{v}[/tex].
    "Northeast", given that the positive x-axis is east and the positive y-axis north, is at angle [itex]\theta= \pi/4[/itex] which is the same as the direction of unit vector [itex]\vec{v}= (\vec{i}+ \vec{j})/\sqrt{2}[/itex]

Once you know the "rate of change", "rise over run", in that direction, just take the inverse tangent to get the angle.

No, [itex]\theta[/itex] is NOT "[itex]arccos(1)/\sqrt{73}[/itex]".

"fx = 6 fy = -6" should give you the answer immediately.

4. Oct 16, 2011 #3
    So, by the definition of the directional derivative: ∇f ⋅ v⃗. Then my directional derivative should be <6,-6> • <1/sqrt(2),1/sqrt(2)>. This gives a dot product of 0.

Arctan(0) = 0, which does not seem correct to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook