How do I find the set of solution to x^2z^3 - y^6 over C?

• Thread starter Silversonic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, the conversation discusses how to show the inclusion of a set of points that satisfy a certain polynomial equation. The solution involves finding t1 and t2 for any given set of complex numbers, and then showing that any solution can be represented in the form of t1 and t2. This can be done by fixing y and z and solving for x.
Silversonic
I'm at a bit of a loss how to do this. I suspect it's the set [itex] \left\{t_1^3, t_1t_2, t_2^2) \mid t \in {\mathbb C}\right\} [/itex]. Certainly the polynomial [itex] x^2z^3 - y^6 [/itex] vanishes on these points, but I'm not sure how to show the other inclusion.

The only thing I can think of gets me close, but not totally there.

If I had a solution [itex] (a,b,c) [/itex] then write [itex] a = t_1^3 [/itex] for some [itex] t_1 \in {\mathbb C} [/itex] and [itex] c = t_2^2 [/itex] for some [itex] t_2 \in {\mathbb C} [/itex]. Then

[itex] t_1^6 t_2^6 - b^6 = 0 [/itex]

[itex] b^6 = t_1^6 t_2^6 [/itex]

But can I just straight up take the 6th root if we're over the complex numbers? For instance if I had [itex] b^2 = t_1^2t_2^2 [/itex] then [itex] b = \pm t_1 t_2 [/itex].

The b in the case above would surely be [itex] b = t_1t_2 e^{i2\pi k/6} [/itex] for some [itex] k = 0,1,2,3,4,5 [/itex], so it's multiplied by some arbitrary phase factor. I get 6 possibilities. What do I do now?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you just need to apply a bit of logic.

What you've shown is that if you take any two complex numbers t1 and t2, then you have a solution of the form you've given.

Next, you need to show that if you have a solution, then you can find t1 and t2. Hint: for any x, y and z, you need to find t1 and t2, so think of fixing y and z and solving for x.

These two things together will prove the result.

Last edited:

1. What does "C" stand for in this equation?

"C" stands for the set of complex numbers, which includes all real numbers and imaginary numbers.

2. How do I find the set of solutions to this equation?

To find the set of solutions, you can use the quadratic formula or factoring to solve for the values of x, y, and z. You can also use graphing or numerical methods to approximate the solutions.

3. Are there any special cases I need to consider when solving this equation?

Yes, when solving for complex solutions, you may need to consider the imaginary unit i, which is equal to the square root of -1.

4. Can this equation have more than one solution?

Yes, this equation can have multiple solutions in the set of complex numbers. It may also have repeated solutions or no solutions at all.

5. How can I check if my solution is correct?

You can substitute your solution back into the original equation to see if it satisfies the equation. You can also use a calculator or software program to graph the equation and see if the solution falls on the curve.