How do I find the set of solution to x^2z^3 - y^6 over C?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Silversonic
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Set
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
Silversonic
Messages
121
Reaction score
1
I'm at a bit of a loss how to do this. I suspect it's the set [itex]\left\{t_1^3, t_1t_2, t_2^2) \mid t \in {\mathbb C}\right\}[/itex]. Certainly the polynomial [itex]x^2z^3 - y^6[/itex] vanishes on these points, but I'm not sure how to show the other inclusion.

The only thing I can think of gets me close, but not totally there.

If I had a solution [itex](a,b,c)[/itex] then write [itex]a = t_1^3[/itex] for some [itex]t_1 \in {\mathbb C}[/itex] and [itex]c = t_2^2[/itex] for some [itex]t_2 \in {\mathbb C}[/itex]. Then

[itex]t_1^6 t_2^6 - b^6 = 0[/itex]

[itex]b^6 = t_1^6 t_2^6[/itex]

But can I just straight up take the 6th root if we're over the complex numbers? For instance if I had [itex]b^2 = t_1^2t_2^2[/itex] then [itex]b = \pm t_1 t_2[/itex].

The b in the case above would surely be [itex]b = t_1t_2 e^{i2\pi k/6}[/itex] for some [itex]k = 0,1,2,3,4,5[/itex], so it's multiplied by some arbitrary phase factor. I get 6 possibilities. What do I do now?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you just need to apply a bit of logic.

What you've shown is that if you take any two complex numbers t1 and t2, then you have a solution of the form you've given.

Next, you need to show that if you have a solution, then you can find t1 and t2. Hint: for any x, y and z, you need to find t1 and t2, so think of fixing y and z and solving for x.

These two things together will prove the result.
 
Last edited: