How do I find the specific heat of a hot object in water?

In summary: This helped.In summary, the metal absorbs 720 calories from the water and the calorimeter when it is inserted, but as it cools, it releases 3640 extra calories.
Eclair_de_XII

Homework Statement

"Using the above calorimetre with 100.0 g of water of in it at 20.0°C, a 50.00 g sample of a metal at 100.0°C is added. The temperature of the calorimetre rises to 27.2°C. What is the specific heat? (S.H. = 0.20 cal/g°C)"

Homework Equations

Heat capacity of calorimetre used = 8.0 cal/°C

The Attempt at a Solution

(27.2 - 20)°C ⋅ 8.0 cal/°C = 57.6 cal
100.0 g ⋅ 7.2°C = 720 calories absorbed by water
50.00 g ⋅ (27.2 - 100) = -3640 calories released by metal
-3640 + 720 = -2920 calories absorbed by calorimetre
(-2920 cal/7.2°C⋅100 g) = 4.05555... cal/g°C ≠ (0.20 cal/g°C)
They already gave me the answer (0.20 cal/g°C) but they want a process, and I am almost sure I am calculating the last step wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is more of a chemistry problem, but you are going to need to use the specific heat capacity formula, do you know any other formulas in your book/notes?

RaulTheUCSCSlug said:
This is more of a chemistry problem, but you are going to need to use the specific heat capacity formula, do you know any other formulas in your book/notes?

Yes, I originally posted it in that forum, but for some reason, it got moved here. In any case, here are most of the basic formulas listed:

Heat capacity (J/°C) = S.H.(J/g°C) x mass (g)
q = S.H.(J/g°C) x mass (g) x Δtemperature (°C)
or
q = m x SH x ΔT
Q (lost by metal) = Q (gained by cold water) + Q (gained by calorimetre)

RaulTheUCSCSlug said:

No, this is not a chemistry problem at all. There is no discussion of what the metal might be. :rolleyes:

If you look at other posts in the Intro Physics HW forum, you'll see plenty of calorimeter problems similar to this one. o_O

The problem which the OP has is that he is claiming the metal loses 3640 calories while it cools, but that figure presupposes that the specific heat of the metal is 1 cal/g-°C, which it clearly is not. :wink:

The amount of heat which the metal loses is equal to the amount of heat gained by the water and the calorimeter after the metal is inserted, no more, no less. :wink:

(1 cal/g°C) ⋅ 100.0 g ⋅ 7.2°C = 720 calories absorbed by water
(x cal/g°C) ⋅ 50.00 g ⋅ (27.2 - 100) = -3640x calories released by metal
(27.2 - 20)°C ⋅ 8.0 cal/°C = 57.6 calories absorbed by calorimetre
720 + 57.6 = -3640x
x = -0.2136 cal/g°C

I'm not sure if this is correct...

Eclair_de_XII said:
(1 cal/g°C) ⋅ 100.0 g ⋅ 7.2°C = 720 calories absorbed by water
(x cal/g°C) ⋅ 50.00 g ⋅ (27.2 - 100) = -3640x calories released by metal
(27.2 - 20)°C ⋅ 8.0 cal/°C = 57.6 calories absorbed by calorimetre
720 + 57.6 = -3640x
x = -0.2136 cal/g°C

I'm not sure if this is correct...

Specific heat capacity is never negative.

It's better to use the formula q = m C ΔT when calculating the specific heat capacity. Here, C is the specific heat capacity.

q = q(water) + q(calorimeter) = m(sample) × C × ΔT

Fill in the known quantities and solve for the unknown value of C.

q is going to be equal to the heat absorbed by the water and the calorimeter. All of this heat is assumed to be transferred from the hot metal sample placed inside the calorimeter.

q = 720 cal + 57.6 cal = 50 g × x-cal/g°C × 72.8°C
q = 777.6 cal = 3640x
q = 0.2136 cal
x = 0.2136 cal/g°C

Eclair_de_XII said:
q = 720 cal + 57.6 cal = 50 g × x-cal/g°C × 72.8°C
q = 777.6 cal = 3640x
q = 0.2136 cal
x = 0.2136 cal/g°C
Looks good. You might also express the specific heat of the same with a precision consistent with the data given in the OP.

SteamKing said:
You might also express the specific heat of the same with a precision consistent with the data given in the OP.

I do not understand what that would entail.

Eclair_de_XII said:
I do not understand what that would entail.
Significant figures. Have you been taught how to use them?

I'm guessing three sig-figs? In any case, it still doesn't match the answer given.

x = 0.214 cal/g°C

Eclair_de_XII said:
I'm guessing three sig-figs? In any case, it still doesn't match the answer given.

x = 0.214 cal/g°C
The heat capacity of the calorimeter itself (8.0 cal / g-°C) is given to only two significant figures, so your answer for the specific heat of the sample can't be more precise than that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Significant_figures

x = 0.21?

Eclair_de_XII said:
x = 0.21?
Close enough to 0.20. :wink:

Likes RaulTheUCSCSlug
Thanks.

1. What is specific heat?

Specific heat is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of one gram of a substance by one degree Celsius.

2. How do I measure the specific heat of a hot object in water?

To measure the specific heat of a hot object in water, you will need to know the initial temperature of the water, the final temperature of the water after the hot object has been added, and the mass of the hot object. You can then use the formula Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass of the hot object, c is the specific heat of the hot object, and ΔT is the change in temperature. Rearrange the formula to solve for c, and you will have the specific heat of the hot object.

3. Can I use any type of hot object to measure specific heat in water?

No, you will need to use a material that is easily heated and has a known specific heat. Common materials used for this experiment include metals like copper or aluminum. It is important to use a material with a known specific heat to ensure the accuracy of your results.

4. How does the initial temperature of the water affect the measurement of specific heat?

The initial temperature of the water will affect the measurement of specific heat because it will impact the change in temperature of the water. The larger the change in temperature, the more heat energy is required, and therefore the higher the specific heat of the hot object will be.

5. Can specific heat be different for different objects?

Yes, specific heat can vary depending on the material and its properties. For example, metals tend to have higher specific heat compared to substances like water or air. Additionally, the specific heat of an object can also vary depending on its state (solid, liquid, gas) and its temperature.