1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I find the work and power if I have a mass in newtons?

1. Mar 27, 2008 #1
    Im trying to find my work when climbing up stairs. If I convert my weight into newtons, do I still need to multiply it by 9.8? Since i weigh 135, I multiplied that by 4.5 to get my weight in newtons. I then multiplied that by 9.8, after that I multiplied that by 3.0 m ( the distance of the stairs). I got a really big number

that okay?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2008 #2
    Why did you multiply by 4.5? 135 what?

4. Mar 27, 2008 #3
    135 pounds

1pound=4.45 newtons

5. Mar 27, 2008 #4
    So then why did you multiply by 9.8 again if you already have your weight in Newtons?

6. Mar 27, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, it's not ok. You only put units on the height of the stairs. Put units on EVERYTHING. You weight 135? 135 what? I'm guessing lbs. Don't make me guess. So then 135lb*4.5N/lb=607N is already a force unit (newtons=kg*m/sec^2). I'm guessing when you said 9.8 you mean 9.8m/sec^2. Work is force times distance. Is 607N*9.8m/sec^2 even a force unit? Can you answer your own question? "If I convert my weight into newtons, do I still need to multiply it by 9.8?". Yes or no?

7. Mar 27, 2008 #6
    no, you dont..

okay, thanks

let me change my data

thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?