Given time, distance and weight, how do I calculate work?

In summary, the worker carries blocks weighing 1500 Newtons each to a height of 8 meters at a rate of 2 blocks per minute. In 10 minutes, he raises 20 blocks and does 24000 Joules of work. In 60 minutes, he raises 120 blocks and does 144000 Joules of work. The work done is calculated using the formula W=Fd, where W is work, F is force (weight), and d is distance.
fixedglare

Homework Statement

a worker who carries blocks of cement from a flight of stairs to an apparatus that is 8 meters high. Every block weighs 1.50 x 10 to the second power Newtons and the worker carries 2 blocks every minute. How much work will he realize in 10 minutes and in 60 minutes?

Homework Equations

W=Fd
(i honestly don't know what else)
maybe the weight formula W=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly have no clue... >_<

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi fixedglare :smile:

welcome to PF

Can you tell what is making the worker spend energy?

The weight of the blocks?

How much work does it take to raise a single block weighting 150 N to a height of 8 m against gravity?

fixedglare said:

Homework Statement

a worker who carries blocks of cement from a flight of stairs to an apparatus that is 8 meters high. Every block weighs 1.50 x 10 to the second power Newtons and the worker carries 2 blocks every minute. How much work will he realize in 10 minutes and in 60 minutes?

Homework Equations

W=Fd
(i honestly don't know what else)
maybe the weight formula W=mg
THINK! You don't use "W= mg" because you are not given m, the mass. You are given the weight, w, of 1500 Newtons, of each block and is to be lifted 8 m. What is the work done to lift one block? He lifts 2 blocks every minute so how many does he lift in 10 minutes? How many in 60 minutes?

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly have no clue... >_<
You state, above, that W= fd. That is, if you apply a force f over a distance d you do work w. Here the weight (not mass) is w and you must apply the force, wg, a vertical distance h. Here the weight of each block 1500 Newtons and the height is 8 m. So what work is required to lift one 1500 N block a distance 8 meters? (Be carful of the units.)

Two blocks are lifted every minute. How many blocks are lifted in 10 minutes? How many are lifted in 60 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
chestermiller said:
how much work does it take to raise a single block weighting 150 n to a height of 8 m against gravity?

1200 j

HallsofIvy said:
THINK! You don't use "W= mg" because you are not given m, the mass. You are given the weight, w, of 1500 Newtons, of each block and is to be lifted 8 m. What is the work done to lift one block? He lifts 2 blocks every minute so how many does he lift in 10 minutes? How many in 60 minutes?

You state, above, that W= fd. That is, if you apply a force f over a distance d you do work w. Here the weight (not mass) is w and you must apply the force, wg, a vertical distance h. Here the weight of each block 1500 Newtons and the height is 8 m. So what work is required to lift one 1500 N block a distance 8 meters? (Be carful of the units.)

Two blocks are lifted every minute. How many blocks are lifted in 10 minutes? How many are lifted in 60 minutes.

I know how to calculate the work itself by using the force (weight) & the distance with the W=Fd formula, I just don't know what to do with the time.

W= 1200 J

The question about time isn't how many blocks are lifted in 10 or 60 minutes, its how much work is realized that's what I don't understand.

Would it be 1200 J * 600 seconds (10 minutes)?

& 1200 J * 3600 seconds (1 hour ?)

HallsofIvy said:

Doesn't the problem statement say 150 N?

fixedglare said:
1200 j

If he raises 2 blocks per minute, how many blocks does he raise in 10 minutes? In 60 minutes? How much work does he do all together during these time intervals?

Likes 1 person
Chestermiller said:
If he raises 2 blocks per minute, how many blocks does he raise in 10 minutes? In 60 minutes? How much work does he do all together during these time intervals?

He raises 20 blocks in 10 minutes, and 120 blocks in 60 minutes.

Do I multiply the amount of blocks per minute to my last result?

20 blocks in 10 mins * 1200 J = 24000 J

120 blocks in an hour * 1200 J = 144000 J

YES! those were the results in my book, thank you so much<3 You're an angel.

1. How do I determine the units for time, distance, and weight when calculating work?

The units for time, distance, and weight will depend on the specific situation and what is being measured. Time is typically measured in seconds, distance in meters, and weight in kilograms. However, other units such as hours, feet, and pounds may also be used.

2. What formula should I use to calculate work?

The formula for calculating work is work = force x distance, or W = F * d. This means that work is equal to the amount of force applied multiplied by the distance over which the force is applied.

3. Can I use any unit for force when calculating work?

Yes, force can be measured in various units such as newtons, pounds, or dynes. It is important to ensure that the units for force match the units for distance and weight in order to get an accurate result.

4. How do I convert between different units when calculating work?

To convert between units, use conversion factors. For example, to convert from pounds to newtons, use the conversion factor 1 lb = 4.448 N. Multiply the given force in pounds by this conversion factor to get the equivalent force in newtons.

5. Is work always positive when calculated using this formula?

No, work can be either positive or negative depending on the direction of the force and the direction of the movement. If the force and movement are in the same direction, work will be positive. If they are in opposite directions, work will be negative.