Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I generate a broadband or wideband carrier?

1. Feb 20, 2013 #1
    Generating a carrier on a single frequency is simple, just use an oscillator of a specific frequency and amplify.

But how do I generate a carrier that is 100KHz wide, or even 100MHz wide? The obvious answer is more oscillators, but is there a better way?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

I don't think there is such a thing as a "carrier that is 100kHz wide". You can fill out a 100kHz channel with multiple carriers (like in OOFDM), or you can modulate a carrier, but a single carrier is generally at a single frequency.

What is the context of your question? What are you studying?

4. Feb 21, 2013 #3
    I understand this.

My question is related to generation and independent control of multiple carriers spanning a given bandwidth (i.e. 100KHz or 100MHz.)

I have been looking at some types of digital signals with large bandwidths (1/4/8MHz, etc). Is this bandwidth composed of independent carriers, or is it the result of interactions due to the modulation scheme employed???

5. Feb 21, 2013 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thread locked pending moderation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook