How is wideband FM implemented on the E4400B signal generator?

In summary: I'm still not clear on why 10MHz is so fast. Is it just because it's a lot of digital work, or is there something else going on?The 10MHz modulation is just enough to create a wideband FM signal.
Twigg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The Agilent E4400B (formerly HP ESG-something) is a <1GHz signal generator. One of its features is that it can take a <10MHz external signal and turn it into frequency modulation on the output carrier signal (like an incredibly wideband VCO). However, the device can also be externally referenced with a 10MHz clock signal and still perform frequency modulation. How do they achieve both FM and external clocking simultaneously? Everything I came up with wouldn't enable such a high modulation bandwidth.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Twigg said:
However, the device can also be externally referenced with a 10MHz clock signal and still perform frequency modulation. How do they achieve both FM and external clocking simultaneously?
There are ways to synthesise FM by analogue preprocessing, followed by phase modulation of the carrier using an IQ mixer.
What PM methods have you considered?

Likes Twigg
Baluncore said:
There are ways to synthesise FM by analogue preprocessing, followed by phase modulation.
Can you elaborate?

Baluncore said:
What PM methods have you considered?
I am assuming the E4400B is DDS-based (as opposed to analog VCO and PLL), so correct me if I'm wrong about that. The first thing I thought was they could do analog-to-digital conversion, do some very quick digital multiplication by the FM deviation (Hz per volt) (this is a user setting), and then quickly write the new phase to the DDS accumulator. But 10MHz just seems really, really fast to do that much digital work, especially for a device from 2000ish, and for a non-essential feature.

The other possibility I considered is if they actually intentionally offset the phase of the local clock that sets the sample rate for the DDS's DAC. Something like biasing the output voltage of the phase detector in the PLL that references that DAC clock to the external clock. This would require the PLL to have a feedback bandwidth at least 10MHz to keep up with the input signal, and that doesn't seem right either.

Am I missing something much simpler?

Twigg said:
Am I missing something much simpler?
Yes. FM by PM is called "Indirect FM". Google FM by PM.
There are limitations due to PM that are usually overcome by frequency multiplication.
Consider integrating the modulating signal, then use that to phase modulate a 10 MHz reference. Then frequency multiply that before using it to clock a DDS.

Download from; https://connectlp.keysight.com/e/f2
https://www.keysight.com/au/en/assets/9018-01640/service-manuals/9018-01640.pdf?success=true
Start on page 34

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Twigg
Twigg said:
is a <1GHz signal generator. One of its features is that it can take a <10MHz external signal and turn it into frequency modulation on the output carrier signal (like an incredibly wideband VCO).
Sorry, why is a 10MHz modulation of a 1GHz carrier extreme modulation?

Baluncore said:
followed by phase modulation of the carrier using an IQ mixer
Baluncore said:
Yes. FM by PM is called "Indirect FM". Google FM by PM.
Well darn, I feel really silly right now. o:) Thanks

Baluncore said:
Consider integrating the modulating signal, then use that to phase modulate a 10 MHz reference. Then frequency multiply that before using it to clock a DDS.
That makes a whole lot of sense. So in that case your modulating bandwidth would be the base bandwidth of the IQ modulator times the frequency multiplier, right? (Edit: No it isn't. See post #8.)

berkeman said:
Sorry, why is a 10MHz modulation of a 1GHz carrier extreme modulation?
I only use FM in a laboratory setting, so I don't have a good sense of what's considered "extreme" in a larger context. It just seems extremely fast relative to cases I'm familiar with like FM radio (10's of kHz modulation of a 100's of MHz carrier) or bluetooth's FSK modulation (~1MHz bandwidth out of 2.5GHz). Are there more extreme examples out there?

Last edited:
Twigg said:
Well darn, I feel really silly right now.
You should be really happy, because you are more than sufficiently intelligent to ask your question on the Physics Forums. We can't all have the same experience, and no one knows everything. Your questions and answers are similarly enlightening.

Likes berkeman and Twigg
Twigg said:
So in that case your modulating bandwidth would be the base bandwidth of the IQ modulator times the frequency multiplier, right?
The IQ modulator is just one way to phase shift a carrier. In effect, it is performing a vector rotation by complex multiplication of the baseband, by the RF carrier as I and Q signals. IQ modulators are commonly used in mobile phones, so have become smaller, cheaper, lower power and more accurate.

The bandwidth of the FM signal, which is related to the carrier frequency deviation, is frequency multiplied, along with the centre frequency of the carrier.

The spectral content of the FM remains the same, which is why music over FM radio stays in tune.

• Informative
Likes Twigg
Baluncore said:
We can't all have the same experience, and no one knows everything.
This is very true. And thanks for the encouraging words!

Baluncore said:
The spectral content of the FM remains the same, which is why music over FM radio stays in tune.
Recognizing this helps clear things up a lot. Thanks!

Likes berkeman

1. How is wideband FM implemented on the E4400B signal generator?

Wideband FM is implemented on the E4400B signal generator through a direct digital synthesis (DDS) technique. This involves using a high-speed digital-to-analog converter to generate the FM signal, which is then mixed with the carrier signal to produce the desired frequency modulation.

2. What is the frequency range for wideband FM on the E4400B signal generator?

The frequency range for wideband FM on the E4400B signal generator is 10 MHz to 2.7 GHz. This allows for a wide range of frequencies to be modulated, making it suitable for a variety of applications.

3. Can the E4400B signal generator generate both narrowband and wideband FM signals?

Yes, the E4400B signal generator is capable of generating both narrowband and wideband FM signals. It has a wide frequency range and adjustable modulation bandwidth, allowing for the generation of both types of FM signals.

4. How does the E4400B signal generator achieve high signal purity in its wideband FM output?

The E4400B signal generator uses a low phase noise oscillator and advanced filtering techniques to achieve high signal purity in its wideband FM output. This results in a clean and stable FM signal with minimal distortion.

5. Can the modulation depth be adjusted on the E4400B signal generator for wideband FM signals?

Yes, the E4400B signal generator allows for the adjustment of modulation depth for wideband FM signals. This can be done manually using the front panel controls or through remote programming commands, allowing for precise control over the modulation depth.