How do I get my saved draft back?

• Thread starter quantumdude
  • Start date
In summary, Tom started a thread in General Math forum, but got an error message. He tried different browsers and computers, but the thread was not saved. He is back and is looking for the disk icon.
quantumdude
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hey long time, no see! Where did you guys run off to? Yuk! Yuk! :oldlaugh:

I started to post a thread in the General Math forum, saved it as a draft, and returned on another computer. I don't see how to get it back, and when I try to start a new thread in that forum I get a server error. :oldsurprised:

Lil help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tom! Great to see you back at PF! It's possible the draft is saved as a session variable or more likely as a cookie so moving computers would not bring it back. If you return to your other computer I bet it's there. Also the draft is only saved for 24h if I remember correctly. Hope you stay around for a bit!

Btw what was the server error and is it still happening?

I've returned to the original computer and it's the same story. I don't see an option for retrieving the draft and when I try to start a new thread in General Math I get a message saying, "A server error occurred. Please try again later." I suppose I could just let it ride out if it's only 24 hrs.

The draft function is tied the disk icon in the editor. Usually for me it auto populates without me having to do anything. I'm at my phone atm and can check in about an hour

Thanks. I was looking for the disk icon but it isn't there. I get what you see in the attached pic.

Attachments

• PF Error Message.jpg
    PF Error Message.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 424
hmmm I just tried posting a new thread in General Math and it worked.

Tom do you see this?

Attachments

• tom.png
    tom.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 450
No I posted a screenshot of what I see when I try to start a new thread. Post #5.

Does that error happen for any other forum? How could you have saved a draft when you get that error? I'm a little confused.

I see the error in the logs. Can you try logging out, clearing your cache and then logging back in?

Don't know what particular "save" you're trying, but just in the reply box, there's a ghostly little "save" message that appears every x minutes in the lower rt. hand corner (just above "upload a file"). Go google, update forums, mark forums read, whatever you want, and come back to bottom of same thread, and you'll see a washed out copy of what you've done, occasionally truncated. The longest/most complete save is to go ahead and just exit to another screen, or refresh the forum page.

By the way, long time, no see.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I see the error in the logs. Can you try logging out, clearing your cache and then logging back in?

I tried it and no dice. I also tried using a different browser on the same computer and got the same error message.

Bystander said:
reply box

There's no reply box because there's no thread. I started typing, realized that I needed a file that's on another computer, saved my thread as a draft, went to the other computer, and then the rest went as I described in the OP. The new-fangled bells and whistles 'round here are too smart for me!

Tom Mattson said:
I tried it and no dice. I also tried using a different browser on the same computer and got the same error message.
Very odd. Give me a day to work through the error.

Alrighty.

Tom Mattson said:
Hey long time, no see! Where did you guys run off to? Yuk! Yuk! :oldlaugh:

I started to post a thread in the General Math forum, saved it as a draft, and returned on another computer. I don't see how to get it back, and when I try to start a new thread in that forum I get a server error. :oldsurprised:

Lil help?

OH MY GOD!

I thought my eyes were deceiving me when I saw a new post from you. Is this real? Are you real?

Zz.

Likes dlgoff
Yep, it's really me! I haven't been gone so long that I forgot my password, but long enough to be bamboozled by the new features.

Hey Tom!

Hmmmm...I let 24 hours go by in the hopes that that saved draft would have elapsed, but it's still got a choke hold on my thread-starting ability in General Math.

Welcome back, Tom.

My drafts are saved automatically, so I don't even need to click the save button. Also, they do show up when I visit the same thread from a different computer. So they must be stored on the server, at least for a while.

The drafts feature is working a little too well for my taste. When I start editing a post, and then decide that my change is making things worse, I can't just cancel the edit and start over, because the next time I try to edit it, I don't see the good version of my post; I only see the version that was messed up by my previous attempt to edit it. It's not a big problem though, just a minor nuisance. I can quote myself and copy the original text from there.

Tom Mattson said:
Hmmmm...I let 24 hours go by in the hopes that that saved draft would have elapsed, but it's still got a choke hold on my thread-starting ability in General Math.
Is this only happening in the General Math forum?

Looks like it. I just clicked the button to create a thread in a couple other forums and it worked. And I created this thread after saving the draft in General Math.

Still looking into this. Could be a problem with one of our addons or XF. The draft should have been cleared after 24h so I'm not sure that is it.

It works now.

1. How do I retrieve a saved draft?

To retrieve a saved draft, go to the document or file where you originally saved the draft. If you saved the draft in a word processing program, such as Microsoft Word, go to the "File" menu and select "Open." Then, find the file name of your draft and open it. If you saved the draft in an email or online platform, log in and go to your drafts folder to access the saved draft.

2. Can I recover a saved draft if I accidentally deleted it?

Yes, in most cases, you can recover a deleted saved draft. Many programs and platforms have a recycle bin or trash folder where deleted files are stored for a certain amount of time before being permanently deleted. Check these folders to see if your draft is there. If not, you may be able to use a data recovery tool to retrieve the draft.

3. Is it possible to restore a previous version of a saved draft?

Yes, many programs and platforms have version control or auto-save features that allow you to access and restore previous versions of a saved draft. In Microsoft Word, for example, you can go to the "File" menu and select "Info" to see previous versions of your document and restore the one you want. Online platforms also often have a version history feature that allows you to access and restore previous versions of your drafts.

4. What should I do if my saved draft is corrupted or won't open?

If your saved draft is corrupted or won't open, try opening it in a different program or on a different device. Sometimes, the issue may be with the program or device you are using rather than the draft itself. You can also try using a file repair tool to fix the corrupted draft. If all else fails, you may need to recreate the draft from scratch.

5. How often should I save my work to ensure I don't lose any drafts?

It is recommended to save your work every 10-15 minutes to ensure you don't lose any drafts. This is especially important if you are working on a large or complex document. You can also use the auto-save feature in many programs and platforms to automatically save your work at regular intervals. Additionally, it is a good idea to save multiple versions of your draft, such as "draft 1," "draft 2," etc., in case you need to go back to an earlier version.