How can I recover a saved draft for a post on a website?

• Thread starter Will Learn
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of losing a saved draft of a long post and potential solutions to avoid this in the future. The draft function is useful for switching devices or being interrupted, but it is not a true "save" function. The conversation also mentions using the plain text mode to copy and paste posts without losing formatting.
Will Learn
Hi. I need some help.
I've saved a draft of a long post I was writing but now can't find how to recover that draft.
The Disk icon near the top of the post offers me two option: Save draft or Delete draft.
Where is the Load previously saved Draft?

Physics news on Phys.org
You shouldn't need to load it - it should be just there. Unless you wrote another post in the same thread, in which case it overwrote your draft and you've lost it, I'm afraid. If that isn't the case, go to the thread and try refreshing the page - sometimes I find that brings up a draft.

• Sad
Likes Will Learn and anorlunda
Ibix said:
If that isn't the case, go to the thread and try refreshing the page - sometimes I find that brings up a draft.
@Ibix is correct. If that doesn't work, try flushing your browser cache, or rebooting your computer.

• Sad
Likes Will Learn
@Ibix and @anorlunda,

Thank you for your replies.

I wrote a long post but couldn't finish it, so I saved a draft for later. Then I posted a short comment just to say I would write more tomorrow.

You're telling me the draft has been overwritten? There's words for this but I probably shouldn't use them.

Just so it doesn't happen again. Is there some place where I can save drafts? The moment I need to use some LaTeX my total editing time goes up to about an hour per post and I can't always find an hour to sit at the computer in a single run.

I suppose I can just copy the text and paste it in some other software on my PC like Notepad. However, the rich text format used here like Bold and Superscript will still get ripped up and the quotes from other people's post are of a totally unknown coding.

I've put a like and a sad response on your posts. I'm grateful for advice, that's the like. I'm sad for the answer, that's the sad. I hope the like hasn't been overwritten.

It's gone, I'm afraid. The draft function is useful if you switch devices or if you are interrupted, so you can come back to a post. But it's not a proper "save" function like in a word processor.

If you want to copy and paste a post into a text editor you can switch the comment editor to plain text mode (button next to the draft button, looks like a pair of square brackets), and all markup will be shown as BBCode. That's all plain text and can be copied backwards and forwards without a problem.

Likes Mary Conrads Sanburn, mfb and Will Learn

1. What is the purpose of saving a draft?

Saving a draft allows you to preserve your work in progress and come back to it at a later time. It also serves as a backup in case of unexpected computer or program crashes.

2. How often should I save my draft?

It is recommended to save your draft at least every 10-15 minutes or whenever you make significant changes. This ensures that you have the most up-to-date version of your work saved.

3. Can I recover a draft that I accidentally deleted?

Depending on the program you are using, there may be a way to recover a deleted draft. Some programs have a "Trash" or "Recycle Bin" where deleted drafts are stored for a certain period of time before being permanently deleted. It is always a good idea to regularly save your work and make backups to prevent accidental deletion.

4. How do I recover a previous version of my draft?

Many programs have a "Version History" feature that allows you to view and restore previous versions of your draft. This is useful if you want to go back to an earlier version of your work or if you accidentally made changes that you want to undo.

5. Is it safe to store my draft in the cloud?

Storing your draft in the cloud can be a convenient and secure option as long as you use a reputable and secure cloud storage service. It is always a good idea to regularly back up your work in multiple locations to prevent loss in case of technical issues or data breaches.