How do I go about solving this equation for time?

• Thread starter mcovalt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the formula provided is used to solve for the change in time (\Delta t) between two angles (\theta) using the variables g, L, I, and m as placeholders. The equation takes into account the gravitational force (g), the length of the pendulum (L), the moment of inertia (I), and the mass of the object (m). The user can input their own values for these variables to solve for \Delta t between \theta=0 and \theta=\frac{\pi}{2}.
mcovalt
[itex]\ \frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2}=\frac{g\sin\theta-\frac{L}{2}\frac{d\theta}{dt}\cos2\theta}{\frac{I_{G}}{mL/2}+\frac{L}{2}\sin2\theta}[/itex]

Solve for change in t between [itex]{\theta}=0[/itex] and [itex]{\theta}={\frac{\pi}{2}}[/itex]

Any ideas?

Variables "g, L, I, m" are placeholders for the user to input values. Thanks so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
bumpity bump?

mcovalt said:
[tex]\ \frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2}=\frac{g\sin\theta-\frac{L}{2}\frac{d\theta}{dt}\cos2\theta}{\frac{I_{G}}{mL/2}+\frac{L}{2}\sin2\theta}[/tex]

Solve for change in t between [itex]{\theta}=0[/itex] and [itex]{\theta}={\frac{\pi}{2}}[/itex]

Any ideas?

Variables "g, L, I, m" are placeholders for the user to input values. Thanks so much!

Use tex and itex, not latex.

Oh man. That's weird. I swear it was fine when I posted it haha. Well, now that you can see it. Any ideas?

1. How do I determine the variables in the equation?

In order to solve an equation for time, you need to first identify the relevant variables in the equation. These variables will typically be represented by letters, and you will need to understand what each variable represents in the given situation.

2. What are the steps for solving the equation for time?

The steps for solving an equation for time can vary depending on the complexity of the equation. However, the general steps include isolating the variable for time on one side of the equation, and then performing the necessary operations to solve for time on the other side.

3. How do I know what operations to perform on the equation?

In order to solve an equation for time, you will need to perform a series of mathematical operations. These operations may include addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and exponentiation. The specific operations required will depend on the structure of the equation.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve the equation for time?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve an equation for time. However, it is important to make sure that you are entering the equation correctly and applying the appropriate operations in the correct order. Double check your work to ensure accuracy.

5. What if I cannot solve the equation for time?

If you are having difficulty solving an equation for time, it may be helpful to review your algebra skills and make sure you understand the basic concepts. You can also seek assistance from a math tutor or ask a friend or classmate for help. Remember to always check your work and make sure your solution makes sense in the given context.