How do I know how much this motor is putting out?

In summary, it sounds like you need to find the torque and RPM output for a given load for each of the four flywheels tested. The data you have is for 8-volt motors, so you will need to find the voltage and current vs. time for each flywheel to find the power. You can use the torque vs RPM equation to find the power output for each flywheel.
DBTStud
Hi Just wondering if someone could help me! I need to know how much torque and RPM a motor will output for a given load (0.75kg), the only information I've been given is how the RPM and current vary with time for 4 different flywheels of masses 118g 166g 208g and 337g! the dyno test datasheet for which can be found in excel format here! the voltage was always 8 volts during the dyno testing
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/40te2owu337rxd4/AAApJgDkwWIPN04zyZWAaR6Ya?dl=0
The motor will be used to power a model car down an 18m track, and inorder to work out the speed and acceleration of the car i need to know the torque and RPM the motor will supply it! any tips on how to do this are welcome!

Thanks People
(hope this is in the right place BTW)

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The dropbox files are csv, not excel files (.xlxs).
You will probably receive better help if you upload screenshots of your data and analysis as many people, myself included, are hesitant to download files from unknown sources for security reasons.
From your data, it sounds like you can find electrical power input, mechanical power output, torque output and efficiency all vs. rpm for the motor.
These are the equation you'll use:

P=IV (where 'I' is current)
T=Iα (Where 'I' is moment of inertia, you'll need to find it for each flywheel.)
P=Tω
η = Pout / Pin

Compare your results for each flywheel, they should be the same/similar.

You can then apply those specs to your model car and find acceleration & velocity over the 18m, this could be done in excel or MATLAB etc.
the difficult part is estimating the frictional losses of your car (rolling resistance, air resistance, transmission losses etc). You may also need to consider the current output of the batteries you plan on using.
If you plan on building this thing I suggest making you gear ratio adjustable so peak performance can be found via testing as it's unlikely your loss estimations will be accurate.

Ive took a screenshot of as much of the data as i can, but the rest can be grasped from the graphs below!
Thanks the aim is just to estimate and get our predicted time as real to the actual time as possible :)
But for some reason were not supposed to actually test any equipment only using the data they provided us with.. And we've to pick a gear ratio from a list that they'll give us next week.
From what you have told me i am able to find all that Thanks dude!

Attachments

• 118.png
    118.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 414
  • 166.png
    166.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 422
  • 208.png
    208.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 427
  • 33.png
    33.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 446
So just to be sure, I am to take the average torque from the flywheels and apply that to my car since the load on the motor is different?

Not the average torque. The torque the motor applies to the flywheel varies with RPM, the same applies to the torque the motor applies to the wheels of your car.

What you want is a torque vs RPM scatter plot for each experiment then use excel to apply a trend line to find the best fit equation for that plot. Compare each equation, they should be similar. Maybe find the average of the 4 equations. They should be straight lines that vary from stall torque to no load speed.
The equation can be used in the model car calculation to find the torque output of the motor for any given RPM.
This model car calcs can be done via an iterative method like so:

At t1 = 0, and v1=0, calculate a1 from torque output at RPM=0 (this will be stall torque)
at t2 = 0.01 find v2 assuming a1 was constant between t1 and t2, calc a2 from v2
at t3 = 0.02 find v3 assuming a2 was constant between t2 and t3, calc a3 from v3

repeat until 18 metres have been covered
You could probably get away with a larger time step than 0.01 seconds

This is a basic numerical method for an ODE
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numerical_methods_for_ordinary_differential_equations

I did a very similar project a couple years ago, I had much better results finding and using the manufacturers motor specs rather than using the experimental specs we were given, so that's something you could look into.

I am confused by the flywheel rpm and current plots. Admittedly the time to speed will vary because the rotational inertia is different for each weight, but once the flywheels are to speed, which is indicated on each graph by the horizontal lines, there should be no effect on the motor by the flywheels' weight and the terminal rpm and current should be the same for all of the flywheels; which, clearly is not what is indicated on the graphs. So, there must be some external forces involved like bearing friction variations due to the lateral flywheel weight or air friction variations due to increasing flywheel diameters with weight. As a result, I don't see how these graphs can be of any help in determining the acceleration of the model car based upon their data.

1. How do I measure the power output of a motor?

The power output of a motor can be measured using a device called a dynamometer. This device measures the torque and rotational speed of the motor and calculates the power output using the formula P = τω, where P is power, τ is torque, and ω is rotational speed.

2. What is the difference between horsepower and wattage?

Horsepower (hp) and wattage (W) are both units of power, with 1 hp equal to approximately 746 W. However, horsepower is commonly used to measure the power output of engines and motors, while wattage is used for electrical devices.

3. How do I know if a motor is operating at its maximum power output?

A motor operates at its maximum power output when it reaches its rated power, which is the highest power output the motor is designed to handle without overheating. You can check the motor's specifications or consult with the manufacturer to determine its rated power.

4. Can I increase the power output of a motor?

The power output of a motor is determined by its design and cannot be increased beyond its rated power. However, you can improve the efficiency of a motor by reducing friction, optimizing its design, or using a more powerful power source.

5. How do I compare the power output of different motors?

To compare the power output of different motors, you can look at their rated power, which is typically measured in horsepower or watts. You can also compare the torque and rotational speed of the motors to see which one has a higher power output. Additionally, you can consult with a professional or refer to motor performance charts to determine the power output of various motors.