How do I know this point lies on the line in the plane?

  • Thread starter Thread starter shreddinglicks
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Line Plane Point
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
shreddinglicks
Messages
225
Reaction score
7

Homework Statement


This is the point:

(6,0,-2)

Homework Equations


x = 4-2t
y = 3+5t
z = 7+4t

The Attempt at a Solution



Do I just plug in the points and see if I get matching values of t? If not, how do I go about this?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
shreddinglicks said:

Homework Statement


This is the point:

(6,0,-2)

Homework Equations


x = 4-2t
y = 3+5t
z = 7+4t

The Attempt at a Solution



Do I just plug in the points and see if I get matching values of t? If not, how do I go about this?

What is stopping you from just going ahead and trying it out for yourself?
 
I did try it. I'm asking if this is the right way to do this. I do not have any answers for this problem. Can you please tell me if that is the right way to do this?
 
shreddinglicks said:
I did try it. I'm asking if this is the right way to do this. I do not have any answers for this problem. Can you please tell me if that is the right way to do this?

It is the right way to see if the given point lies on the line. What is your answer?

ehild
 
I do not get matching values of t.

t = -1, -3/5, -9/4
 
Last edited:
shreddinglicks said:
So the point does not lie on the line?

It does not.

ehild