Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do i make chemicals by equation?

1. Jul 17, 2016 #1
    Hey guys i wanted to know how make some chemicals when i have an equation, for example:

molecularformula.png

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2016 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First of all, you don't have any equations in the graphic above. These are called the molecular formulas for the various compounds shown.

A typical chemical formula, or reaction, looks like this:

A + B → C + D,

where A and B are the molecular formulas of the reagents, and C and D are the molecular formulas of the reaction products.

There are many different chemical reactions which are studied in chemistry. Some of these reactions can be quite dangerous if proper safety precautions are not employed.

Study some chemistry and then come back if you have any questions.

4. Jul 17, 2016 #3

Merlin3189

Gold Member

1- Although these molecular formulae would be recognised as the compounds named, it is not always the case that a molecular formula represents a single compound. It could represent several isomers with different structures.
    2 - How you make a compound depends on what precursors you have. In general you can't just mix the elements in the required proportion, heat it and hope to get what you want. Strangely enough the compounds you list are more likely to be starting points for the production of other compounds. (Well glucose certainly; butane and octane are mainly fuels, though they could be partially oxidised to produce more reactive compounds.) They would generally be obtained from a biological source (glucose) or petroleum (butane and octane.)

5. Jul 17, 2016 #4
    Ok thanks guys, and last question, when i learn chemistry, is that possible i will know how to make equations from a molecular formula?

6. Jul 17, 2016 #5

Merlin3189

Gold Member

Yes, the molecular formulae help you work out the number of molecules of each substance to put in the equation.
    When you make equations, the molecular formulae tell you what numbers to put in, but they don't help you know whether the reaction is likely. If you know that a reaction works, it simply gives you the correct quantities. For example, it is possible to make butane from pentanoic acid by removing CO2, using soda lime. The overall reaction is:
    Pentanoic acid + Sodium Hydroxide -> Butane + Sodium Carbonate + water
    C5H10O2 + 2 NaOH -> C4H10 + Na2CO3 + H2O

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted