How do I make more smaller sidelobelevel value of patch antenna?

In summary, the conversation discusses the design and analysis of a 6x1 series fed microstrip rectangular patch antenna using HFSS. The goal is to achieve a SLL (side lobe level) of <-25dB and S11 (<-20dB). However, after designing the antenna, the SLL was only around -20dB and the width and length of the patch antenna were changed to improve this value. The parameters for the antenna include resonance frequency of 26GHz, permittivity of 2.2, and substrate height of 0.79mm. MATLAB code was used to calculate the length of the patch antenna, but the SLL was only around -10~-15dB. Further changes were made to
everjordan
Hi :)

I am designing 6x1 series fed microstrip rectangular patch antenna by using HFSS.
The schematic of the my design is below.
attachment.php?attachmentid=35967&stc=1&d=1306489779.jpg

This figure is the half of my design for the past analysis.

My goal is below.

SLL(side lobe level <-25dB)
S11(<-20dB)

After I design the patch antenna, I found SLL around -20dB.
However, I want to reduce this value.

So, I check the internet & some papers and found some important parameters.
1. both width and length of patch antenna
2. length of the connection line
{
connection line is the microstrip line.
connection line exits between patch and another patch.
connection line has high impedance[100ohms].
I set the length of line L-2delta(L) {L is the length of the patch antenna}
}

And below is the parameters for antenna.
resonance freq = 26GHz
permitivity = 2.2
height of the substrate = 0.79mm
The values of effective permitivity, both length and width of the patch antenna
are below.

222.jpg

I found that the calculated values are not perfect value.
So I have changed the value such as width of the patch antenna, length of the connection line.

If the width of patch antenna is changed, length of the patch antenna also will be changed.
So, I use MATLAB tool then change the length of the patch antenna and effective permitivity.

These are MATLAB code.

{
% method to obtain patch's length
clc;
clear all;
h = 0.79;
w = 4.53;
er = 2.2;
ee = ((er+1)./2 ) + ((er-1)./2).*(1+12.*h./w)^(-0.5);
f = 26.*(10^(9));
c = 3.*10.^(8);

deltal = h.*0.412.*(ee+0.3).*((w./h) + 0.264)./(ee-0.258)./((w./h) + 0.8) ;
l = 0.5.*3.*(10.^(8))./f./sqrt(ee) - 2.*deltal./1000;
l = l*1000;

w

deltal
l
deltal+l

}

First I set these values to my desin.
However, value of SLL is only around -10~-15dB.
So, I changed width of patch antenna to lambda/2.
And I changed length of the connection line to L-delta(L).
As a result, value of SLL is around -20dB.
333.jpg

To reduce the value of SLL, I change the length of the connection line to -0.01mm incremental.
However, the variation is a little.

How do I make smaller value of SLL?

If u give some advices or some references, it will be helpful.
Thank you~!

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 449
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
From what I remember in my antenna class, we've symbolically derived the pattern for array factor(I think), for specific size of an antenna array. Then, depending on the value of sidelobe value desired, appropriate filter coefficients were calculated to achieve the desired sidelobe values. These were equated to the terms in the radiation pattern. I used Chebyshev polynomials in the example below.

%part c
N=10;
theta_a=-90:.1:90;
betaa=0;
betab=-90;
psia=180*sind(theta_a)+betaa;
psib=180*sind(theta_a)+betab;
Af1=2/N*(cosd((2*1-1)*psia/2)+cosd((2*2-1)*psia/2)+cosd((2*3-1)*psia/2)+cosd((2*4-1)*psia/2)+cosd((2*5-1)*psia/2));
Af2=2/N*(cosd((2*1-1)*psib/2)+cosd((2*2-1)*psib/2)+cosd((2*3-1)*psib/2)+cosd((2*4-1)*psib/2)+cosd((2*5-1)*psib/2));
figure(1);
subplot(2,1,1),plot(theta_a, 20*log10(abs(Af1))), axis([-90 90 -50 0]), xlabel('theta'), ylabel('|AFn|dB'), title('Pr.3c Normalized AF vs. theta, theta0=0 deg'), grid on;
subplot(2,1,2),plot(theta_a, 20*log10(abs(Af2))), axis([-90 90 -50 0]), xlabel('theta'), ylabel('|AFn|dB'), title('Pr.3c Normalized AF vs. theta, theta0=30 deg'), grid on;%part d-e
SLL=-30;
R=10^(-SLL/20);
u0=cosh(1/(N-1)*acosh(R));
psi=10:10:50;
%[A]=*
B=zeros(5,5);
A=zeros(1,5);
%Td is the Chebyshev polynomial
for c=1:1:5;
u=u0*cosd(psi(c)/2);
A(c)=cosh((N-1)*acosh(u)); %Td(u)
for i=1:1:5;
B(c,i)=2*cosd((2*i-1)/2*psi(c));
end
end

A=A';
IB=inv(B);
I=IB*A;

Af3=2/(N*I(3))*(I(1)*cosd((2*1-1)*psia/2)+I(2)*cosd((2*2-1)*psia/2)+I(3)*cosd((2*3-1)*psia/2)+I(4)*cosd((2*4-1)*psia/2)+I(5)*cosd((2*5-1)*psia/2));
Af4=2/(N*I(3))*(I(1)*cosd((2*1-1)*psib/2)+I(2)*cosd((2*2-1)*psib/2)+I(3)*cosd((2*3-1)*psib/2)+I(4)*cosd((2*4-1)*psib/2)+I(5)*cosd((2*5-1)*psib/2));
figure(2);
subplot(2,1,1),plot(theta_a, 20*log10(abs(Af3))), axis([-90 90 -50 0]), xlabel('theta'), ylabel('|AFn|dB'), title('Pr.3e Normalized AF vs. theta, theta0=0 deg'), grid on;
subplot(2,1,2),plot(theta_a, 20*log10(abs(Af4))), axis([-90 90 -50 0]), xlabel('theta'), ylabel('|AFn|dB'), title('Pr.3e Normalized AF vs. theta, theta0=30 deg'), grid on;

How do I make my patch antenna have a smaller sidelobe level value?

To reduce the sidelobe level value of a patch antenna, you can try the following techniques:

• Use a larger patch size
  • Increase the spacing between patches
  • Add a ground plane
  • Use a thicker substrate
  • Optimize the feed position and shape

What is the importance of minimizing sidelobe level value in patch antennas?

Minimizing the sidelobe level value in patch antennas is important because it reduces interference and improves the antenna's signal-to-noise ratio. This results in better performance and increased range for the antenna.

Can the sidelobe level value of a patch antenna be reduced without affecting its main lobe?

Yes, it is possible to reduce the sidelobe level value of a patch antenna without affecting its main lobe by using advanced design techniques such as fractal or shaped patch antennas. These designs allow for a more precise control of the radiation pattern, resulting in a lower sidelobe level value without compromising the main lobe.

How do the material properties of the patch antenna affect the sidelobe level value?

The material properties of the patch antenna, such as the dielectric constant and thickness of the substrate, can significantly affect the sidelobe level value. Higher dielectric constants and thicker substrates can lead to a smaller sidelobe level value due to the increased propagation delay and decreased surface wave effects.

Is it possible to have a patch antenna with zero sidelobe level value?

No, it is not possible to have a patch antenna with zero sidelobe level value. There will always be some level of sidelobe radiation due to the physical limitations of antenna design and the diffraction effects of electromagnetic waves. However, it is possible to minimize the sidelobe level value to a very low level through careful design and optimization techniques.