How do I model a Thorium Reactor thermal system?

In summary, the student is trying to model a theoretical Thorium reactor and is at a loss for how to start. They know the thermal properties of the fluids and Hastelloy N, and would like to see 1.25GW of power generated. They would like some advice on how to jumpstart the project.
LCOEFF14
Homework Statement
Design Thermal Fluid System for Thorium Reactor
Relevant Equations
n/a
Hi,

I'm working on a project for a thermal fluids design class in which a theoretical Thorium reactor is to be designed and modeled, and I'm a little bit at a loss for how to start analyzing the problem. I know the system will have 4 fluid systems: an enriched FLiBe system connected via HX to a non-enriched FLiBe system connected via HX to a water system which will phase change and spin a turbine, and then a final water system will be used to cool the condenser for the steam system. The pipes and heat exchangers will be made of Hastelloy N. I know the thermal properties of the fluids and Hastelloy N, and i also know the power generation i'd like to see(1.25GW). My thought was i'd work backwards from the steam system using the power generated, but there are just so many unknowns. does anyone have any advice on how to jumpstart this project? some sort of a roadmap would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with a flow sheet.

Likes LCOEFF14
Designing a power plant is a task that takes 100 experienced engineers up to 5 years to complete. 500 man-years. In that time, details like the choice of Hastelloy N for the pipes is among the least important decisions.

There must be more limiting information regarding your project. I can't believe that it is that big.

It would also be helpful for us to know what training in mechanical/thermal/nuclear/electrical engineering you are supposed to demonstrate with this project.

Likes LCOEFF14
I have a rough flow sheet. I'm just trying to figure out which end to start on, what to assume, etc.

anorlunda said:
Designing a power plant is a task that takes 100 experienced engineers up to 5 years to complete. 500 man-years. In that time, details like the choice of Hastelloy N for the pipes is among the least important decisions.

There must be more limiting information regarding your project. I can't believe that it is that big.

It would also be helpful for us to know what training in mechanical/thermal/nuclear/electrical engineering you are supposed to demonstrate with this project.
I agree..it's a bit much. The task isn't actually designing a power plant though...although i guess it's pretty close. we're just trying to figure out HX sizes, pipe sizes, flow rates of the fluids etc for steady state operation. the issue is that we have very limited solid values and about 1000 variables. we know the salt in the first chamber should be entering the HX at about 900C, and that our power output is 1.25GW. as for training, my group is comprised of senior level mechanical engineering students.

I think just designing the steam generator is a suitable sized senior project. Not the whole power plant.

Can you post a copy of the actual requirements?

Likes LCOEFF14
anorlunda said:
I think just designing the steam generator is a suitable sized senior project. Not the whole power plant.

Can you post a copy of the actual requirements?

I may ask if we can condense it down to just the steam generator. The project was designing a system involving moving fluids and heat transfer. we just sort of decided on something overly complex.

There's a lot more complexity in a steam generator than you may imagine. Look at all the components in this picture. Can you identify the purpose of each? It is plenty complex.

1573423807094.png

1. How does a Thorium Reactor work?

A Thorium Reactor is a type of nuclear reactor that uses thorium as its main fuel source. The thorium is bombarded with neutrons, which causes it to undergo a nuclear reaction and produce energy. This energy is then used to heat water, which creates steam that turns a turbine and generates electricity.

2. What are the advantages of using a Thorium Reactor?

There are several advantages to using a Thorium Reactor. Firstly, thorium is a more abundant and readily available fuel source compared to uranium. Additionally, thorium reactors produce less nuclear waste and the waste that is produced has a shorter half-life. Thorium reactors also have a lower risk of meltdown and do not produce weapons-grade plutonium.

3. How is the thermal system of a Thorium Reactor modeled?

The thermal system of a Thorium Reactor is typically modeled using a computer program that simulates the heat and mass transfer processes within the reactor. This includes modeling the flow of coolant, heat transfer between the fuel and coolant, and the overall thermal behavior of the reactor.

4. What factors are important to consider when modeling a Thorium Reactor thermal system?

When modeling a Thorium Reactor thermal system, it is important to consider factors such as the type of coolant used, the geometry of the reactor, the type and concentration of fuel, and the operating conditions. Other important factors include the design of the heat exchangers and the overall efficiency of the system.

5. What challenges are associated with modeling a Thorium Reactor thermal system?

Modeling a Thorium Reactor thermal system can be challenging due to the complex nature of nuclear reactions and the various processes involved in heat and mass transfer. Additionally, obtaining accurate data on the physical and chemical properties of the fuel and coolant can be difficult. Furthermore, the design and optimization of the thermal system may require extensive computational resources and expertise in nuclear engineering.