1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I prove an either/or inequality?

1. Feb 12, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "Given: ##a,b,c∈ℤ##,
    Prove: If ##2a+3b≥12m+1##, then ##a≥3m+1## or ##b≥2m+1##."

2. Relevant equations
    ##P:a≥3m+1##
    ##Q:b≥2m+1##
    ##R:2a+3b≥12m+1##

3. The attempt at a solution
    Goal: ##~(P∨Q)≅(~P)∧(~Q)⇒~R##

Assume that ##a<3m+1## and ##b<2m+1##. Then ##2a+3b<2(3m+1)+3(2m+1)=12m+5##. But this doesn't necessarily imply that ##2a+3b>12m+1##. Can someone help me connect the dots?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2017 #2

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The problem doesn't ask you to prove that. Your proof by contradiction is complete as it is.
    CORRECTION: I should have said proof by contrapositive.
    CORRECTION 2: I completely missed the point that the OP proves <12m+5 but it needs <12m+1

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  4. Feb 12, 2017 #3
    Hi,

Your statement must be wrong since ##a=5,b=1## and ##m=1## clearly violate it.

5. Feb 12, 2017 #4

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Note. Tildas are difficult to do in LaTeX. I don't know how to do them. Here is a readable version of your Goal.

6. Feb 12, 2017 #5
    I was trying to do proof by contra-positive, but I ended up with an inequality in my original post that says nothing about my original statement. I figured that it was only conditionally true. So I ended up with a statement just saying that the statement is false when at least one of the inequalities is false; then I gave a counter-example.

7. Feb 13, 2017 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since ##a, b, m## are all integers, you can re-write the three inequalities in the original question by first removing the "+1" on all three right-hand-sides and replacing "≥" by ">". That works because both sides are integers. It is worth doing---try it and see.

8. Feb 13, 2017 #7

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If a < 3m+1 and you are restricted to integers, then you know that a ≤ A = 3m. Likewise b < 2m+1 implies b ≤ B = 2m. Compare 2a+3b with A+B and 12m+1.
    CORRECTION: Should have said "Compare 2a+3b with 2A+3B and 12m+1."

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  9. Feb 13, 2017 #8
    Well, that simplified my argument by a whole lot more. Thanks, too, @FactChecker.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted