Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I reduce the amount of voltage in a circuit?

1. Mar 13, 2015 #1
    Hi,

I'm having a difficult time understanding how voltage is reduced in a circuit. I know the relationship of V= IR, but I still don't understand. I think part of the reason I do not understand is the wording used, and the other part is from experience. For example if I have a fan that only works properly at 5 volts applying more than 5 volts could damage the component, right? Would I use resistors to reduce the voltage? I thought that resistors only changed the current in the circuit. When I have measured the voltage by placing one lead of a multimeter on a resistor and one lead on the power output I didn't see a change in voltage, only current. By changing the current in a circuit do you simultaneously effect the voltage as well? Also I'm quite puzzled over the analogy of water going through a pipe being used to describe voltage, current, and resistance. It seems to me that it is more like water going through a filter in a straw being blown on by a person's mouth. In this case the harder you blow is like the voltage or pressure and the amount being blown by a point is like the amps and the resistance is like the size of the filter. Is this a good analogy?

Thanks in advance for helping me answer these puzzling questions.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2015 #2

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

Resistors drop voltage E=IR

4. Mar 13, 2015 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

that's only part of the story

the real problem using a resistor to drop voltage is that it will limit the current. And it may limit it to less than what is required by the load

So @Broly tell us more specifically about what you are trying to achieve, so we don't have to keep guessing :wink:

You have a 5V fan, and Im assuming ( till you explain otherwise) that you only have a higher voltage PSU ?
    Voltage regulator chips are the best way to overcome this problem

Dave

5. Mar 13, 2015 #4
    Water in a closed system of pipes is an excellent analogy for current in a circuit. The pressure between two points in the pipe is equivalent to voltage. It's the relative pressure between two points that matters, just as it's the voltage between two points in a circit that matters. Pressure goes up across a pump, just as voltage does across a battery or generator. And pressure goes down across a thin section of pipe, just as voltage is dropped across a resistor.

The flow rate, in say gallons per minute, is equivalent to current, in coulombs per second (amps).

I used to be embarrassed that even after decades of work, I still think in terms of water in a pipe to keep it all straight. But recently I read that none other than James Maxwell thought of electric fields as whirling vortices to help him keep things straight.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook