How do I set up a math web-site?

In summary, Jack is looking to create a website to publish his work on math functions, tables of results, and plots. He is seeking recommendations for a web host and utilities he would need to post his results. Some suggestions are to use PDF files for serious content and to utilize HTML editors for other content. It is also suggested to use MathJax for displaying math symbols and to use a CMS like WordPress for easier website management. The recommended hosts include Yahoo, GoDaddy, HostGator, and FatCow.
jackmell
Hi,

I'm thinking about creating a website to publish some work I'm doing. I'd primarily post math functions, tables of results, and plots.

Could you guys give me some starters on how to go about doing this? I need a web host but not sure which one would allow me to do what I want to publish.

Can you guys give me some recommendations for web hosts and what utilities I would need to post my results?

Thanks,

Jack

Technology news on Phys.org
Personally I would rather depose pdf files containing the serious stuff. For the rest there are many html editors around. You could include formulas using mathjax using latex syntax as done here in the forum. I don't think you need some specialized webhost for that.

Ok thanks guys.

I'll probably choose one of the top 10 web-hosting sites like Yahoo, or GoDaddy or HostGator or FatCow.

Do you guys have any recommendations for a web-hosting site? I'm considering creating a database of algebraic power series so it would contain functions, power series, tables, plots, and summaries.

I've been looking into MathJax lately, it's a JavaScript library for displaying math symbols using TeX, MathML and various other markups. JavaScript (well, this kind of JavaScript) is a client-side technology so it doesn't matter what host you use, your users will probably want a semi-recent browser though, which is fine.

As for hosting your website, well, there's so many options, just make sure the host supports whatever server-side technologies you intend to use (PHP, Python, Java, MySQL, etc). Are you making a dynamic, database-driven website, and if so, what are you using?

Adyssa said:
I've been looking into MathJax lately, it's a JavaScript library for displaying math symbols using TeX, MathML and various other markups. JavaScript (well, this kind of JavaScript) is a client-side technology so it doesn't matter what host you use, your users will probably want a semi-recent browser though, which is fine.

As for hosting your website, well, there's so many options, just make sure the host supports whatever server-side technologies you intend to use (PHP, Python, Java, MySQL, etc). Are you making a dynamic, database-driven website, and if so, what are you using?

Hi,

Didn't follow you above. I'm a novice at this as I've never had a website before.
Basically, I'm considering posting just power series expansions of algebraic functions with some other information about them. Mostly it would be math, tables, plots and summaries and would be a site I could post the work I"m doing with this subject. Probably would not have user input initially.

I think what I would do is first just get a web-site going and learn how to set it up, and manage it and become experienced with the software, basically just play around with it first, then if I choose to, begin setting up a site I have in mind.

Sure, that's cool. I didn't mean to throw a bunch of gibberish at you :P

For your first website, it's probably easiest to use a CMS (content management system), a basically a website program with a bunch of templates that takes a lot of the tedium out of building every page. Trollcast recommended WordPress, and it's a good one. WordPress is PHP software and if memory serves, it runs with a MySQL database. There are a lot of hosts that will be suitable, and WordPress actually recommend a few.

Adyssa said:
Sure, that's cool. I didn't mean to throw a bunch of gibberish at you :P

For your first website, it's probably easiest to use a CMS (content management system), a basically a website program with a bunch of templates that takes a lot of the tedium out of building every page. Trollcast recommended WordPress, and it's a good one. WordPress is PHP software and if memory serves, it runs with a MySQL database. There are a lot of hosts that will be suitable, and WordPress actually recommend a few.

Ok, thanks a lot for that. I just need to get started and start working with the software.

1. What is the purpose of setting up a math web-site?

The purpose of setting up a math web-site is to provide a platform for individuals to access and learn math concepts, practice problems, and engage in interactive activities. It can also be used as a resource for teachers to share lesson materials and for students to access additional resources for their math studies.

2. Do I need to have advanced coding skills to set up a math web-site?

No, you do not need advanced coding skills to set up a math web-site. There are many user-friendly website builders and templates available that make it easy for anyone to create a math web-site without any coding experience. You can also hire a web developer to help you set up the site if needed.

3. How do I choose the content for my math web-site?

When choosing the content for your math web-site, consider your target audience and their needs. You can include topics and lessons based on grade level, curriculum standards, or specific math concepts. It is also important to keep the content updated and relevant to ensure the effectiveness of your web-site.

4. Can I include interactive features on my math web-site?

Yes, you can include interactive features on your math web-site such as quizzes, games, and simulations. These features can make learning more engaging and fun for users. However, it is important to ensure that these features are aligned with the content and objectives of your web-site.

5. How can I promote my math web-site?

There are various ways to promote your math web-site, such as using social media platforms, collaborating with other educators or math-related websites, and optimizing your website for search engines. You can also reach out to schools and educational institutions to introduce your web-site and its resources. Consistently updating and improving your web-site can also help attract more visitors and promote word-of-mouth referrals.