How do I show that 2 moving objects collide?

In summary, the conversation discusses the collision between a boat and a branch, where the positions of both objects are described by equations. The equations are used to determine the point of collision, taking into account the different starting positions for the boat and the branch. The conversation also mentions the need to separate the i and j components of the equations and factorize them to accurately determine the time of collision. The conversation ends with the suggestion to use a graph to visually demonstrate the collision.
SueJ
Homework Statement
We have a boat sailing at a uniform acceleration of (4i, +2j) from the origin, and a branch floating at a uniform velocity of (-4i, +j) starting from position (16i, +2j). Show that they collide, and give the time of the collision
Relevant Equations
1. d=ut+1/2(at^2)
2. v^2=u^2+2ad
3. v=u+at
4. d=t(u+v)/2
They collide when their positions are the same, so I plugged the information for the boat into equation 1 to get an expression for d which is (2i, +j)t^2

Then I used equation 4 to get an expression for d for the branch, which is (-4i, +j)t

I would need to take into account the different starting position for the branch by subtracting it from the branch side

So they collide when (2i, +j)t^2 = (-4i, +j)t - )16i, +2j)

I then tried to factorise it, and this is where I got stuck!

Physics news on Phys.org
SueJ said:
by subtracting it from the branch side
Have another think about that.
SueJ said:
I then tried to factorise
Don’t forget that a 2D vector equation is really two scalar equations. Try writing them separately.

yep, you are right, thanks - ADD it to the branch side.
I did try separating the i and the j so I ended up with 2 quadratics - the one for i did factorise fine, the j one didnt - I may have made a mistake obviously - did you try it, and if so, did it factorise?
In order to SHOW that they collide, I just drew a graph of the postion of boat and branch at increasing t just to show that they cross - is this what would be expected for the question 'show that they collide'?

haruspex said:
Have another think about that.

Don’t forget that a 2D vector equation is really two scalar equations. Try writing them separately.
oh yes I did make a mistake and I got the same t for both I and j this time, thanks

Likes berkeman

1. How do I determine the speed of the objects before and after collision?

To determine the speed of the objects before and after the collision, you can use the equation v = d/t, where v is the speed, d is the distance the object traveled, and t is the time it took to travel that distance. You can measure the distance and time for both objects before and after the collision, then compare the speeds to determine if they changed due to the collision.

2. What factors affect the outcome of a collision between two objects?

The outcome of a collision between two objects is affected by several factors such as the mass, velocity, and angle of collision of the objects. The type of materials the objects are made of and any external forces acting on them can also impact the outcome of the collision.

3. How can I visually show the collision of two moving objects?

To visually show the collision of two moving objects, you can use a high-speed camera to capture the moment of impact. You can also use computer simulations or physical models to demonstrate the collision and its effects.

4. What laws govern the motion of two colliding objects?

The motion of two colliding objects is governed by the laws of conservation of momentum and conservation of energy. These laws state that the total momentum and energy of the two objects before and after the collision will be equal.

5. How can I calculate the force of impact in a collision?

The force of impact in a collision can be calculated using the formula F = m * a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration due to the collision. By measuring the mass and acceleration of the objects, you can determine the force of impact during the collision.