1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I show that a function defined by an integral is of class C1?

1. Mar 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]F(x)=\int^{2x}_1\frac{e^{xy}\cos y}{y}dy[/tex]

Show that F is of class [itex]C^1[/itex], and compute the derivative F′(x).

2. Relevant equations

Thm:

Suppose S and T are compact subsets of [itex]\mathbb{R}^n \text{ and } \mathbb{R}^m[/itex], respectively, and S is measurable. if [itex]f(\bf{x,y})[/itex] is continuous on the set [itex]T\times S = \{ (\bf{x,y})\; : \; \bf{x}\in T, \;\bf{y}\in S\}[/itex], then the function F defined by, [tex]F(x)=\int ... \int_S f(x,y)d^n\bf{y}[/tex] is continuous on T.

Thm:

Suppose [itex] S\subset \mathbb{R}^n \text{ and } \bf{f}\; : \; S\rightarrow\mathbb{R}^m[/itex] is continuous at every point of S. If S is compact, then [itex]\bf{f}[/itex] is uniformly continuous on S.

3. The attempt at a solution

I already figured out that

[tex]\int e^{xy}\cos y\;dy=\frac{e^{xy}}{x^2+1}(\sin y+x\cos y)[/tex]

which was listed as a hint. My book explains how to compute the derivative, but not how to show that it is of class [itex]C^1[/itex]. I need some help getting started on this one!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2013 #2
    When you differentiate a [itex] C^k [/itex] function you get a [itex] C^{k-1} [/itex] function. What happens when you integrate a [itex] C^k [/itex] function?

4. Mar 26, 2013 #3
    uh, i'm gonna go with [itex]C^{k+1}[/itex]

5. Mar 26, 2013 #4
    are you sure about that though?

6. Mar 26, 2013 #5
    If [itex] f \in C^k(\mathbb R, \mathbb R) [/itex] then define [itex] g(x) = \int_1^x f(t) gt [/itex]. We would like to show that [itex] g \in C^{k+1} [/itex], and hence that the (k+1) derivatives of g exist and are continuous. Well, [itex] \frac{d^{k+1} g}{dx^{k+1}} = \frac{d^k f}{dx^k} [/itex] and this is continuous by assumption that [itex] f \in C^k [/itex].

7. Mar 26, 2013 #6
    For multivariate calculus, do the same argument with partials. Though here you need not do that since your function is just a map [itex] F: \mathbb R \to \mathbb R [/itex].

Now the solution is not quite straightforward: you are going to need to check that the derivative of your F(x) is continuous. You can do this using the Leibniz rule.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted