1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I show that a subset is closed and convex?

1. Jun 10, 2016 #1
    • Member warned that the homework template must be used
    We have a vector p = (0, 0, 2) in R^3 and we have the subset S = {xp where x >= 0} + T, where T is the convex hull of 5 vectors: (2,2,2), (4,2,2), (2,4,2), (4,4,6) and (2,2,10).
    How do I show that the subset T is a closed and convex subset?

I know that a subset is called convex if it contains the line segment between any two of its points: (1-t)u + tv for every u and v in the subset. I've tried to take two of those 5 vectors and see if there contains a line segment, but so far, it doesn't make any sense. I hope that you can help me with this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Start by writing a completely general formula for an element of T.
    Hint: it will have four independent parameters and it will use all five vectors, not just two of them.

4. Jun 10, 2016 #3
    I don't understand "writing a completely general formula for an element of T". Can you explain what you mean by that?

5. Jun 10, 2016 #4

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A formula with four parameters that can represent any element of T by choosing the values of the parameters that make the formula give that element.
    More here.

6. Jun 10, 2016 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you know what a "convex hull" is?

7. Jun 10, 2016 #6
    Yes, the convex hull of a subset is the set of all convex linear combinations of elements from T, such that the coefficients sum to 1.
    But I don't understand how to use this to show that the subset T is closed and convex.

8. Jun 10, 2016 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Take two points ##x## and ##y## in ##T##. Each of ##x## and ##y## can be expressed as convex combinations of the five given points. For ##0 \leq \lambda \leq 1##, can you write ##\lambda x + (1-\lambda) y## as a convex combination of the five given points? Try it and see, by writing down all the details.

Next: what does it mean for a set to be closed? Can you show why the convex hull satisfies the closure-conditions?

9. Jun 11, 2016 #8
    So I need to find the convex combination of the five given points and then check if the vector p lies in the convex hull of T, and if it does then I can use the definition of closure to see if it is closed. Is that correct?

10. Jun 12, 2016 #9

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I cannot figure out what you are trying to say, but if you think that is what you need to do then go ahead and actually try it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted