How do I show the 100N force is cartesian form?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in which the individual is struggling to solve using cartesian form. They question how to show a 100N force in cartesian form and express doubt in their solution. Another individual suggests taking a moment about the y-axis and using the right-hand rule to determine which forces produce moments.
suspenc3

Homework Statement

See attachment, I am getting everyone of these problems wrong.

Homework Equations

[tex]M_y = u_y(r_y X F)[/tex]

Where u=unit vector defining the direction of y axis
r=distance from y-axis to any point on the line of action of F
F=acting force

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I am going wrong right from the beginning, how do I show the 100N force is cartesian form? What I am doing is :

A=1.2i+0j+0k
B=0.6i+0.6j+1.2k

[tex]
AB =\frac{ -0.6i+0.6j+1.2k}{\sqrt{0.6^2+0.6^2+1.2^2}}
[/tex]

[tex]
F_{AB} = (100N)\frac{ -0.6i+0.6j+1.2k}{\sqrt{0.6^2+0.6^2+1.2^2}}
[/tex]

Im not going to bother to post the rest since I am pretty sure this isn't how to do this.

Thanks

Attachments

• car1.JPG
    car1.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 389
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

Well there's a few ways you can do this. The easiest is to take a moment about the y-axis. You have the force in vector form now, so in your diagram you can redraw that force in the x,y,z direction. Then use the right-hand rule to decide which forces produce moments about the y-axis.

1. What is cartesian form?

Cartesian form refers to the representation of a vector or force using the Cartesian coordinate system, which uses two perpendicular axes (x and y) to define a point or vector in space.

2. How do I convert a force from magnitude and direction to cartesian form?

To convert a force from magnitude and direction to cartesian form, you can use trigonometric functions and the Pythagorean theorem. The x-component of the force can be found by multiplying the magnitude by the cosine of the direction angle, and the y-component can be found by multiplying the magnitude by the sine of the direction angle.

3. What is the formula for finding the x and y components of a force in cartesian form?

The formula for finding the x and y components of a force in cartesian form is:

Fx = F * cos(θ)

Fy = F * sin(θ)

Where F represents the magnitude of the force and θ represents the direction angle.

4. Can a force have both positive and negative components in cartesian form?

Yes, a force can have both positive and negative components in cartesian form. The sign of each component depends on the direction of the force relative to the positive x and y axes.

5. How do I show that a force of 100N can be expressed in cartesian form?

To show that a force of 100N can be expressed in cartesian form, you can use the formula mentioned in question 3 and plug in the values for the magnitude and direction of the force. For example, if the force is acting at an angle of 30 degrees with a magnitude of 100N, the x and y components would be:

Fx = 100N * cos(30°) = 86.6N

Fy = 100N * sin(30°) = 50N