How do I solve a quadratic equation with absolute value?

In summary, the equation 25|x| = x^2 + 144 can be solved by isolating the absolute value of x and breaking it into positive and negative cases. The solutions for the positive case are x = 16 and x = 9, and for the negative case are x = -16 and x = -9. These solutions can be verified by plugging them back into the original equation.
Quinn Morris

Homework Statement

25|x| = x^2 + 144

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

okay well, I'm not quite sure what to do, do i try to isolate the |x|? and then break it up into a postive and negative?

|x| = (x^2 + 144)/25 ?

but from here i become lost...

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not do what you just said? You have "isolated" |x|, now break it into positive and negative parts.

If [itex]x\ge 0[/itex] then |x|= x so the equation becomes [itex]x= (x^2+ 144)/25[/itex] or [itex]25x= x^2+ 144[/itex]. Solve that quadratic equation. Remember that only [itex]x\ge 0[/itex] are valid solutions.

If x< 0, then |x|= -x so the equation becomes [itex]-x= (x^2+ 144)/25[/itex] or [itex]-25x= x^2+ 144[/itex]. Solve that quadratic equation. Remember that only x< 0 are valid solutions.

You might notice that it is easier to first break into two cases and then solve for x.

okay so should my answer be x = +/- 16, +/- 9?

Quinn Morris said:
okay so should my answer be x = +/- 16, +/- 9?

It's quite easy to check yourself =P Especially when checking one of the positive solutions gets rid of the negative counterpart as well.

k thx

Related to How do I solve a quadratic equation with absolute value?

1. What is the absolute value of a number?

The absolute value of a number is the distance of that number from zero on a number line. It is always a positive value, regardless of whether the original number was positive or negative.

2. How do you find the absolute value of a number?

To find the absolute value of a number, you can remove any negative sign if present, or you can multiply the number by -1 if it is negative. The resulting value will be the absolute value of the original number.

3. What is the difference between absolute value and magnitude?

The absolute value of a number represents the distance from zero on a number line, while magnitude refers to the size or amount of something. Absolute value is always positive, while magnitude can be positive or negative.

4. Can absolute value be applied to complex numbers?

Yes, absolute value can be applied to complex numbers. In this case, it represents the distance of the complex number from the origin on a complex plane. The formula for finding the absolute value of a complex number is: |a + bi| = √(a² + b²).

5. How is absolute value used in real life?

Absolute value is used in various real-life applications, such as calculating distance, velocity, and acceleration in physics, determining differences in temperature and elevation, and finding the magnitude of vectors in mathematics. It is also used in programming to ensure that values are always positive, regardless of the input.