How do I transform f(U,V) to f(X,Y) when U and V follow a specific distribution?

  • Thread starter Thread starter island-boy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Transform
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
island-boy
Messages
93
Reaction score
0
given
[tex]f(U,V) = \lambda^{2} e^{-(u+v)\lambda}[/tex]

How do I get:
f(X,Y)
where
X = U+V
Y =UV

all I'm able to get is
[tex]f(X,Y) = \lambda^{2} \e^{-(x)\lambda} |J|[/tex]

where J is the Jacobian.
But the Jacobian is too complicated since I was able to solve that:
[tex]U = \frac{X + \sqrt{X^{2} - 4Y}}{2}[/tex]
and
[tex]V = \frac{2Y}{X + \sqrt{X^{2} - 4Y}}[/tex]

help please.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you need the Jacobian? You're not finding df, or anything like that.
 
I neglect to mention above that f(U,V) and f(X,Y) are density functions

that is
[tex]f(U,V) = \lambda^{2} e^{-(u+v)\lambda}[/tex]
for
[tex]u \geq 0, v\geq 0[/tex]

isn't the Jacobian needed when you are transforming variables for a distribution?