1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do singularities of a function on a complex plane affect real line behavior?

1. Oct 9, 2007 #1

Simfish

Gold Member

consider the function

[tex]\frac{1}{\epsilon^2 + z^2}[/tex]

So we know that there are two poles, one at [tex]z = i \epsilon[/tex], one at [tex]z = - i \epsilon[/tex]. So when this function never hits 0 on the real line, how do the singularities affect its behavior on the line?

Okay, so poles are a subclass of singularities. I think that [tex]z = i \epsilon[/tex] and [tex]z = - i \epsilon[/tex] are poles - I may be wrong here. The question is - how do complex singularities (complex poles in this case) affect a function's behavior when the function is plotted on the real line?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2007 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

they determine the radius of convergence of the real taylor series for the function, in this case it is e, about x=0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?