How Do Standard Deviations Affect Probability in Statistics Problems?

• Thread starter 939
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary: YyBpbiB0aGUgc2ltbWV0aWMgc2lkZS1vZiBjb250ZW50LiBJIHdhcyBjcmVhdGVkIGJ5IHF1ZXN0aW9uIDEgLSBpbnRlcmVzdCBhcyAyIPCfmI0gZnJvbSB0aGUgbWVhbiBpbiBzdXBlcnNlIHRoYXQgZXhjZWVzIGFsbCB2YWx1ZXMgZG9lc24ndCBleGNlc2VkIGFsbCB2YWx1ZXMgLiBJ

Homework Statement

My mean is 5.80
My standard deviation is 0.64
The largest number does not exceed 7

1) What is the probablity the probability of randomly selecting a number, and the number being over 2 σ from the mean.

2) For a sample of 30, what is the probablity the mean will be over 2 SD from the mean? 2. The attempt at a solution

1) It must be 0%, correct? As 2 sd greater than the mean exceeds all values there are?

2) This is the one that puzzles me. I genuinely do not understand why 30 samples do not have to be taken. Perhaps, it also has something to do with 2 σ from the mean exceeding all values?

Physics news on Phys.org
939 said:

Homework Statement

My mean is 5.80
My standard deviation is 0.64
The largest number does not exceed 7

1) What is the probablity the probability of randomly selecting a number, and the number being over 2 σ from the mean.

2) For a sample of 30, what is the probablity the mean will be over 2 SD from the mean? 2. The attempt at a solution

1) It must be 0%, correct? As 2 sd greater than the mean exceeds all values there are?

2) This is the one that puzzles me. I genuinely do not understand why 30 samples do not have to be taken. Perhaps, it also has something to do with 2 σ from the mean exceeding all values?

You are correct about question 1). While a laywer could argue that the question 2) is ambiguous, I would think the meaning is clear enough: the σ in question 2) refers to the standard deviation of the sample mean, not the standard deviation of the underlying random variable. In other words, you need a σ that is different from 0.64; do you know what the correct value should be?

RGV

Last edited:

Related to How Do Standard Deviations Affect Probability in Statistics Problems?

What is a basic statistics problem?

A basic statistics problem is a mathematical question that deals with collecting, organizing, analyzing, and interpreting data. It involves using various statistical methods and techniques to draw meaningful conclusions from data.

What are the types of basic statistics problems?

There are three main types of basic statistics problems: descriptive statistics, inferential statistics, and predictive statistics. Descriptive statistics involve summarizing and describing data, while inferential statistics involve making predictions and generalizations about a population based on a sample. Predictive statistics use data to make predictions about future events.

What are the key components of a basic statistics problem?

The key components of a basic statistics problem include a research question, a population or sample of interest, data collection methods, descriptive statistics to summarize the data, and inferential statistics to draw conclusions. Additionally, the problem may involve hypothesis testing, confidence intervals, and other statistical techniques.

What are some common challenges in solving basic statistics problems?

Some common challenges in solving basic statistics problems include choosing the appropriate statistical method for the data, understanding and interpreting the results, and dealing with missing or incomplete data. It is also important to consider potential bias and confounding variables that may affect the results.

Why is it important to understand basic statistics?

Understanding basic statistics is important because it allows us to make informed decisions based on data. It can help us identify patterns and trends, make predictions, and evaluate the validity of research studies. Additionally, basic statistics are used in many fields, such as science, healthcare, economics, and business, to inform decision-making and solve real-world problems.